Friday, February 20, 2009

Tata "Dream Team"



It snowed again in Tata.  This would have been a welcome sight in December or January – but not at this late stage in February… (I know- all of you back in MN are thinking buck up Carla – but it was warm a couple of weeks ago – and now it’s freezing and snowy again).  I chatted with my 13A kids about this event and asked them about all the things I find to be weird about snow in Hungary.  First of all, they use umbrella’s to keep the snow out of their hair.  It makes sense I suppose, but I’ve never seen it.  Secondly, there was the re-surgence of the sawdust and mulch ice preventer… I just don’t get it.  Thirdly, they don’t know how to drive in the snow.  There are large orange bins out near the street corners, so you can get out of your car and sand the road if you feel it necessary.  There was a semi-truck yesterday morning who got stuck entering the round-a-bout and crossed the street with several handfuls of sand to try and get his semi unstuck.  It didn’t work.  Lastly, I blew their minds when I got to school and changed out of my boots into my shoes for school.  They just wear dress boots to school – they don’t care if they get wet and slushy or muddy on the way to school.  I for one, am not going to walk to school in heels or dress shoes – I’m all about the boots.  They’d never seen this before and thought that it was very “cute.”

These are pictures of the Tata “dream team” who were shoveling the round-a-bout as cars were driving on it – and who shoveled the bus stop as I was waiting for my bus to come.  I suspect they are the same group who rakes leaves in the fall, but they were doing a service and I appreciate them.  When I asked my 13A kids about who they were, one of my particularly bigoted boys responded with “I think they’re Gypsies” to which his buddy responded “they can’t be – they were working…”  oy.

No comments: