Monday, January 25, 2010

Pápa New Years

As you've read, I didn't have the most splendid of New Year's with all the news of Justin and his marriage- so I went to spend a couple of days with Megan. Luckily the timing was just right that I was able to see her New Year's Orchestra concert! However, before I got to attend the concert - I had to actually get to Pápa...

I started off with all the confidence in the world - I was riding the train, no big deal. I didn't have much luggage, so it was a light easy commute to my favorite place - well, any place with Megan is my favorite place, but even more so when it's the cute town of Pápa.

I bought my ticket with the seasoned confidence of a veteran Hungarian train system traveler and was on my way. I sat on a car in the middle of the train, and began to poke away at my computer. I began to set up an iPhoto book of my travels throughout Europe. I kept busy all the way to Győr and once everyone from my car disembarked in Győr, I got a bit worried. I knew that my train was going all the way to Pápa, so I was okay in this car right? I called Megan just to make sure, "I don't need to switch trains in Győr do I?" I was assured that I was on the right train and that life was good. I peeked out the door and looked, and down the platform there was a sign saying Pápa on it- no problem. As I sat back down I relaxed back into my computer happenings and did not pay much attention until the ticket guy came to my seat. His response to my ticket was, "nem... nem jo." You're kidding right? I asked if the train went to Pápa, and he said no, in fact this train was going to Sopron. The back half of the train had detached and was on its way to Pápa. The front half of the train was now on it's way to Sopron - the half that I was on. Well dang, now what? He told me to get off at the next stop and in 20 minutes, the train would come and take me back to Győr. So... I got off... here:
It was a slab of concrete with a sign that vaguely resembled Ukraine - at least that's where I felt I was.... Luckily there was a "waiting area" so I could stay there until the next train came:

Hmph. That's my white grocery bag, the rest of it is just sketchy post-Communism era construction...

No big deal right, I get on the next train, head back to Győr. I called Megan on my way back and asked when the next train was going to leave from Győr to Pápa. She told me that the next train was in too late for me to make the concert - so my best bet was to take a bus. Ok, no problem. Where was the bus station, when did it leave, what are the details??? I was told, the bus station is right under the passway from the train station and that the bus to Pápa left from platform 5. Great, I crossed under the passage and saw that there was a bus loading at platform 5. I grabbed a Diet Coke from a machine and boarded the bus. As I waited for the last two people before me to buy their tickets, the bus took off and began it's journey... in the wrong direction. This bus was heading back towards Tata - not towards Pápa. Hmph. As I got to the driver and asked for a ticket to Pápa, his reply was a curt "nem." I said in English, "shit I'm on the wrong bus" and communicated that rather clearly to the driver. He left me in the center of town, and I hoofed it back to the bus station. I called Megan again, and reported that not only had I stayed aboard the wrong half of the train, I was just on the wrong bus. Exasperated, she told me that she couldn't really help me any more.... but I assured her that I would get there... eventually. I boarded the CORRECT bus and was on my way.

When I got to Pápa we had a great lunch and did a ritualistic killing of Justin. He liked to chew lots of different flavors of gum - some of them were really weird, but he had gum in his mouth ALL THE TIME. So, on a couple of my trips to Germany and Austria, I was stocking up on gum to send him in Afghanistan. I had a number of things I was setting aside to send him, but after I found out he was a cheating bastard, none of it made it to Afghanistan. Megan and I decided that we'd chew the gum I was going to send him in a lame death ceremony of sorts. Unfortunately, it kind of back fired on us as many of the weird flavors I bought were just that - weird.
The "before" with some of the different packs out in front
Some were really nasty...
not all of them were appealing
the carcasses of the first few pieces we ate
the aftermath...

It wasn't the most effective plan of ridding myself of a former boyfriend, but it made us laugh at any rate.

After the gum ritual, we headed off to Megan's concert. I went with early while they practiced so I wouldn't have to find my way there later. I got a sneak peak of the music they played and was able to really get a feel for the group that she belonged to. What a nice treat it was. Megan also figured that if I was in there early, I wouldn't have to pay for a ticket. Well... guess what. Each of the tickets were numbered and I didn't have one. So, instead of taking care of this while I sat there for two hours, I ran downstairs with 15 minutes before the concert waiting in a frigid cold line for my "ticket." I heard someone ahead of me talking about how they were sold out - but people were still giving money and receiving tickets, so I forged forward. I bought my ticket, not sure exactly where it was, but she asked which side of the theater I wanted and I told her the right side. I got to the ticket taker, and asked where exactly the seat was because there was no seat or row number evident to me. She pointed and told me "lépscő" (stairs). Wha? Stairs? The man in front of me pointed to a stack of cushions (usually used to prevent "women" colds) and told me to take one, and choose a stair for my seat. Wow. Gotta love Hungary...

The seat cushions for the stairs (I took a picture during the practice time because I thought they were funny - maybe someone would use them WITH the padded seats of the auditorium?)
Here's me in my "seat" waiting for the concert to start. After the intermission, there were other free seats in the auditorium and the ticket takers encouraged us to fill them in. I was content where I was, reading and not paying attention to much, but when I looked up again - I was the ONLY person still on the stairs, and all the other cushions had been collected. I was the lone ranger keeping it real on the stairs:
my seat cushions, and in front my purse and book.

Megan is in the middle-right under the inverted triangle - the short cute one!!!
Megan in her cute vest - did I mention that she plays the trombone?
evidence of the fact that there was free champagne at the concert - I love Hungarians!

It was a great concert, with tunes ranging from the "Incredibles" to "Copa-Cobana" and "Schindler's List." They were very talented, and worth the three hours on the stairs. Great job Megan and company!

No comments: