Sunday, March 29, 2009

A day in the life of a TESCO consumer


Rarely do I blog directly after an incident happens, but this is just too “Carla” to wait.  This morning, after having school yesterday (on Saturday) and daylight savings last night, I was looking forward to a relaxed Sunday.  I decided that I’d head to TESCO and get some last minute things to shape the place up in anticipation of my parents visit this week.  I was thinking I’d get some “springy” or maybe even Easter decorations, some fresh linens for the beds and other things to prepare.  I planned a leisurely stroll around the TESCO, envisioning a walk up and down every aisle. I was going to look at the beauty products, and spend some time looking at the different meats with dictionary in hand to figure out exactly what they all were.  I still needed a bike, so I was going to do some price comparisons to see what the best deal would be.  I hoped to finally figure out how to recycle these two liter bottles I’ve been collecting since I got here.  I was looking forward to a new video selection and would check out what was on sale.  I was going to look at the clothing, though Wal-Mart quality, maybe there were some cheap cute spring shirts or something.  Now, this is usually a surefire way for me to spend more money, but in light of a one-time visit from my parents, I thought it worth it.  I planned to take the 9:00 bus there and the 10:40 back.  This all went to shit as soon as I got to the bus stop.  The husband (I assume) of the crabby peeper lady from the first floor of my building was at the bus stop and recognized me instantly.  For those of you who are regular followers of my blog, you know that my neighbors have issues with me – so it’s a rocky situation every time I run into any of them.  I greeted him with a “good morning” and thought my pleasant conversation was over.  He allowed me to board the bus first, and though virtually empty (only two other people on the bus) he plopped down right next to me in the seat.  Shit.  I knew this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to make good with the neighbor, but I got really nervous about my level of Hungarian.  He started rattling away at me instantly, and though I started with an immediate “I don’t speak much Hungarian” that didn’t stop him.  Fortunately, we managed to “converse” all the way there.  He was adorable, and every time he thought of something to ask me, he’d tap me on the shoulder and say the Hungarian version of “listen up.”  He asked how long I had been here, when I was leaving, how I liked the school, how I liked the town.  He told me that he was a Latin teacher at a different school in Tata.  I asked him where he was going – duh, it’s Sunday morning and we’re on the 1E – of course I knew that he was going to TESCO, but I needed a time filler.  We arrived to TESCO and he took my arm and showed me the bus sign and pointed to the 10:00 time for the return bus – ok, I guess I’d have to warp speed it through TESCO as it was already 9:20.  Out the window goes my leisurely morning, since I KNEW he’d be waiting to make sure I got on the bus okay.  Little did he know that I have had more adventures getting to and from TESCO than your average foreigner in this country.  Shit – now I had to really book it to get all the things I needed, skipping the luxuries of cheap clothes and videos, check out and make it to the bus stop by 10.  UGH. 

I wandered through the aisles skipping right by all the rabbit shaped chocolates (knowing I’d be able to get them closer to my house as well) focusing on the necessities.  I literally worked up a sweat trying to make it through the Super-Target sized TESCO.  I spotted Imre (his name) in line with 15 minutes to spare, and dodged his glance as I rounded the corner with my cart.  I thought for a minute I should just go tell him that I was not done yet and that I’d wait for the next bus, but again, I didn’t want to blow it with him.  I cut over to the other part of the store and picked out two patio chairs – this was the big purchase I had planned, and no cute little neighbor was going to stop me from getting chairs to put out on the porch.  I got through the check-out line with about 30 seconds to spare, returned my cart and joined Imre at the bus stop.  Mission accomplished. 

Now, I’m sure he has judged me since I’ve been here on many things.  This morning, he commented on the fact that I was wearing sandals and no socks, he’s probably noted when I’ve come and gone, visitors I’ve had, mail I’ve received, etc.  That goes with the territory, but there is something a little disconcerting about a petite elderly Hungarian man peering over the top of your grocery bags (multiple times) and grunting with a bit of a smirk.  We boarded the bus and since I had two patio chairs with me, I stood in the open space in the middle of the bus- and so did he.  During our “conversation” on the way home, I told him that my parents were coming this week, that I needed more gas for my stove, and other fascinating bits.  He asked how old I was (and told me he’s 67) asked if I was married to a man, and when I said no- he asked if I was married to a woman, again I responded with no.  He asked if I had kids, another no… pretty boring but it was nice to connect.  He warned me when our bus-stop was coming up, and helped me carry my goods home.  This was a big step in the mending of our Melrose Place like relationship, and I think life will be good from here on out.  At least, I’m hoping!!!

No comments: