Sunday, March 1, 2009

More about sandwiches...


The other day, I had the perfect opportunity to capture a sandwich eater in action.  Gábor pulled his bag of sandwiches out after 1st period.  Keep in mind, they’ve had sandwiches for breakfast (as every good Hungarian does) and it’s now 9:00.  He busted out his bag of 6 sandwiches.  SIX sandwiches.  Granted, he’s a teenage boy yadda yadda yadda, but he ate breakfast, will eat the 6 sandwiches, and then will go home to a large lunch and a dinner.  I made him hold up his bag so I could take a picture of his sandwiches to prove that this is what they come to school with DAILY.  I don’t know how this country doesn’t have more obese people since lard is a condiment and they eat so much.  It’s absolutely amazing to me.  The other picture threw me for a loop since it was obviously an abandoned sandwich.  WHAT?  It was “stored” in a plant on the landing of my apartment building.  I don’t know how someone was able to not take their sandwich with them, but it MUST have been an extreme emergency situation that caused them to leave a sandwich behind.  SIDENOTE: for the record, as I'm uploading these blogs, I am sitting in the McDonald's near the Keleti train station.  How Hungarian are these people sitting next to me?  They are at McDonalds and in conjunction with their meal, they each pull a sandwich out of their back packs to eat as well.  Can't ever stray too far!!!!!


No comments: