Saturday, March 7, 2009

Heves






This weekend, I traveled to Heves.  It’s a small town of about 11,000 people just to the southeast of Budapest.  Unfortunately, it’s “easier” to get there by bus, so it was a bit of a chore to get there.  I get car sick very easily.  I didn’t used to, I think it’s my mom’s fault – because she gets car sick thinking about riding in a car.  I was not looking forward to a 2.5 hour bus ride, especially after our cross-continent trip to Italy the weekend before.  I had sadly used the last of my Dramamine then, but I was determined to make the trip anyway.  It wasn’t too bad, but it was a packed bus.  Heves is a cute town with lots of pride in it’s history.  Briggi took me to the town museum which had some neat sculptures, old folk art machinery, tools and relics found during archeological digs.  Interesting enough, they also had two American currency quarters – one shiny and new looking, and one from 1972.  There were some JFK half dollars along with the other currencies used in Hungary.  Kind of a funny find in this little museum.  We went out to a bar, named after a Hungarian liquor - Unicum- and played some rugged games of foosball.  I also met the first Hungarian (or any woman) to fall all over me... Edit.  She was nice, but extremely drunk which made things even more funny... The last picture is of the "market" in Heves.  We don't have anything like this in Tata- but I'm not sure that I'm totally missing out.  I purchased a hairdryer, with a diffuser (I learned later that a diffuser is for curly hair... so ultimately not necessary).  The hairdryer, despite it's shiny new "look" made it through 1/2 a hair drying.  Hmph.  Luckily the socks I bought with the "pre-Trianon" Hungary outline on them are bound to be a hit with the male teachers at BHS!  Not all was lost.

No comments: