Sunday, September 6, 2009

Breaking news!!!

Well, I did NOT win the Budapest Half Marathon. I know this will come as a shock to many of you – but some days you just don’t have it. Ok – today was the big half marathon, and I’m glad it’s over. I raced well, not as fast as I’d liked to have – but what can you do. I finished in good shape and had a nice run – and took lots of pictures. I hope you enjoy them!

The day started out a little shaky because I always get really nervous with races. I was in Budapest yesterday to pick up my race number, and one of the metros was closed. So I got nervous that I wouldn’t be able to get to the start. I missed the bus this morning, due miscalculation of the time – an early Sunday morning bus has fewer people getting on and off at each stop, therefore comes quicker than other days. So, I had to walk to the train station, but I left early enough that it didn’t really matter. I got to the station, and of course, the gym teacher from my school was at the station with his bicycle- on his way to the start. That reassured me that I wasn’t leaving too late or too early – though he had his bike with him – I still had to worry about the metro once in Budapest.

I was worried that I didn’t have enough water, so I bought another one once I got to Budapest. The metro was fully functioning – and I joined many of my running compatriots on the number 1 line – the oldest subway line in continental Europe. (I always like to throw that fact in).

Once at the race start area, I headed immediately for the port-o-potties. It’s a habit my dad drilled into my head. Go to the bathroom, and then go again. So I did. Little did I know, that I picked the biff that was moonlighting as a ride. It was placed on uneven ground, so every time someone went in, it looked as if there was quite a bit of mischief going on inside. You had to laugh, even if it meant that urine was pooling up along the sides of the seat due to mis-management of male “aim” – probably while rocking back and forth in the unstable biff.

I got myself prepared – headphones on, water belt assembled, number affixed – etc. and I brought my bag to the drop off area. I used the biffs once more (stretching while in line) and was ready to roll with a few minutes to spare.

I had a decent race, I finished slower than my intended pace, but I took a lot of pictures and felt good at the end, so I am pleased overall. After the race, all participants got a free pass to the Széchenyi bath – so I made my way back to the dressing rooms. I happened to run into some of the new American soldiers stationed in Tata on my way – there were two first timers among them, and none of them really trained at all. They probably all beat me, but whatever. The pictures will tell the rest of the story J


three long strings of flags - go USA!
This is where I started from - planning to finish in less than 1 hour and 30 minutes (yeah right...)
Félmaraton = half marathon
the guys in maroon are the Tata Mustangs - our American football team!
Hero's Square
I'm there on the left in the pink shirt :)
running down the famous Andrássy Avenue
Fans with the red-white-green of the Hungarian flag
Ok seriously - if you followed my posting from the Tata mini-marathon - this SAME GUY (who is like 70+ years old) passed me and BEAT me then - and he did this morning AGAIN!
the famous chain bridge
cups... it's a water stop
another bridge - Elizabeth bridge? I don't know.
Weirdest water stop ever - sugar cubes, lemons and bananas
die-hard Hungarian - represent!
still looking okay... past the half way point!
The Freedom bridge
Crazy Hungarian with a 15 foot whip - I yelled at him in Hungarian when he almost clipped me with it - freak.
still smiling - almost there!
Parliament
up hill - "arms, arms arms" I told myself!
the multi-cultural finish/start!
finally DONE!
all the medals
wait - notice all the empty hooks - that's all the people who finished before me. Hmph.
me in front of the bath

finishers meal of champions!! This is for you Hanna!

1 comment:

Christie said...

yay! congratulations!

what did you eat at that weird water stop?