Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sharing...

Let me tell you a little something about myself. I like to be in control of things. Perhaps that is why I became a teacher, but I thrive on knowing what I'm going to do, being able to change what I will do - eating when I want, traveling where I want when I want - I just like to be in control. I've gotten better at letting go - some might not agree, but really, I have. Until today.

I agreed to meet with a woman who wanted to learn English through private lessons. Great - I can do that once a week, no problem. Well, I met with her today to "discuss" things - and it turns out she wants me to speak with her in English, as well as her five year old daughter. Ok - that should still be okay. Then, I find out that I will have to be driven a half hour outside of Tata to their home (when she attends school 10 feet from my front door) because the daughter (who is incredibly shy I was told) would be more comfortable there. Ok, I get it - she's more comfortable in her own house, that's understandable. HOWEVER, this now adds an hour commute to the hour and a half I'll be "teaching" these two women. NOW, We have to decide on a day of the week - it turns out the daughter has swimming Tuesday and Thursdays, dance on Mondays so Wednesdays and Fridays would be best. Friday? Are you kidding? "No, Friday's won't work for me, so Wednesday it is." The mom stops for a minute and thinks outloud, "well, I don't know if she really enjoyed dance, so maybe we can meet Mondays too" oh really - okay great.

I don't even know what to do with a five year old who is an American and whose native tongue is English, let alone one who knows NO English and is shy. There are several reasons I did not pursue a career in Elementary Education - namely, I'm crass and sarcastic, and little kids don't get that. Additionally, I've never been one to get into the games and songs you'd have to sing every day. Flash back to my experience in Debrecen where I took elementary kids to play pool - that was about as "gamey" as I get. Now, I'm starting from SCRATCH with NO EXPERIENCE and NO IDEAS - TOMORROW! ARGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHG.

The only thing that could make this worse is if they invite me to stay for dinner and serve fish and pálinka. Hmph.

1 comment:

MoSchu said...

You, Crass and sarcastic? Nooooo...