Sunday, September 20, 2009

The man, the myth, the legend : Stanislaw Albro

Ladies and Gentlemen - Stanislaw Albro


Last weekend, I ventured to the small town of Gödölő, only 20 some miles out of Budapest. What drew me to Gödölő??? Stan Albro. Let me refresh your memory... Stan is a man in his late 60's early 70's who came to Hungary with my group last year. We were all very concerned about Stan's future in Hungary as he lost his glasses, wallet and briefcase several times just in the orientation period of one week. I introduced Stan to the internet the week we were together - he taught in the US, but paid someone each week to check his e-mail and tell him the important stuff. Stan is himself an enigma - and for some reason, I was drawn to him. He was like my long lost grandpa who I did nothing but razz and we had a great time.

Stan and I reconnected at the "farewell" dinner for the new teachers this year, and it's been best friends forever since- I guess... He invited me to his town to "share" lesson plans - which meant me copying over 30 ideas for him to use in his class. I had no problem doing this because I have experienced many different activities that worked in my classes, so I enjoy passing things on that I know can work with high school kids. So, we e-mailed back and forth, and basically I was told to show up at a particular school at 9am. Ok, well I had to check the train schedules and such, and figure out where said school was - but I was in.

SIDENOTE: on the train to Budapest, I was seated in a compartment with two Vietnamese tourists and three Hungarians. The two Vietnamese tourists were coming from somewhere in the Czech Republic on their way to Budapest for the weekend. They boarded at around 1:30am and immediately went to sleep - at that time it was only the two of them in their compartment. When they woke at 6:30am, they found that their brand new MacBook Air, a digital SLR camera, an iPhone and about $1800 US was stolen out of one of their bags while they slept. We found someone who was Hungarian and could speak English to help fill out a report with the Hungarian train steward, but we all kinda knew that they'd never get their stuff back. I felt so bad for them, and still don't really know how exactly it was taken, but word to the wise - be CAREFUL with your stuff when traveling anywhere!!!

Back to Stan : when I talked to Stan in preparation for the trip, he said that I should get off at the second Gödölő train stop - and I mentioned to him that I would be coming by "train train" not "commuter HEV" train. He told me to calm down, there was only one train. Then again, I had the cryptic directions to his school, "it's about a 5 minute walk." Ok - so off I went. I took the second Gödölő stop - which was in fact the main train stop, not "Szebed something" as I was directed by Stan. He also told me that he'd "try to be around" at the train station to meet me... and as I got off the train, there was no Stan to be found. Hmmmm... well, I better head towards the center of town - here goes nothing.

I followed the train tracks back towards town and veered toward the church steeple - the church is the center of most towns and villages here, so I figured it would be the direction to go. Next thing I knew - I had stumbled upon the school I was directed to find, though there were approximately 2,000 other people waiting for me there too. Not really, there was some sort of running race for kids - but it certainly clouded my ability to spot the man I was there to meet. Fortunately after about only a minute or so, I recognized a certain shuffle and navy sweat pants - I knew I'd found my mark. I hollered for Stan and we got down to business... well kind of.

He had a particular set of tasks that needed completing during the weekend. They included making several copies of 12 Angry Men for his students, correcting papers, going to a show at a Museum in Budapest, buying me lunch and hearing about my lesson ideas. I too had some things I wanted to do - namely see Stan's town. SO, I wasn't thrilled about the idea of hopping back on a train to Budapest... we agreed that the show would have to wait and we'd get as much done as possible in town. Stan was freaking out a bit about all the papers he had to grade, so I wanted to make sure he got some of his tasks done.

We were going to grab some breakfast (at the local hotel where he has breakfast every day) but we were cutting it close to closing time. On top of that, he didn't have his wallet and I had forgotten my camera so we went back to his apartment to retrieve his never used camera and his wallet. (he actually had his wallet with him the entire time, but he carries such a big bag that he loses things in the bag regularly.) After the initial shock at the state of his apartment, we were able to locate the necessary things and headed back out.

We got a light breakfast and talked about all different kinds of things. I told him a bit about where I teach in the US, and he told me why he (in not so many words) isn't comfortable going back to the US to work for another 5-7 years. If you're lucky, some day I'll tell you the story - but it didn't seem like something he really talked about a lot - so CETP teachers, I wouldn't ask him about it. We talked lesson plans and he was thrilled to have some additional ideas, and our next task to complete was the photo copies.

We got the copies made and headed out to walk around the town a bit. There is a big palace in Gödölő, and I wanted to see that - Stan had never been. We wandered a bit and had lunch at a really nice restaurant and headed to the palace. It was a beautiful building- and though there weren't pictures allowed, I snapped a few good ones.

Even though he'd had three cappucino's and two Diet Cokes, Stan was spent after the palace, so we went our separate ways - after I explained that the HEV train and the "train train" are two different tracks and different stops. He is a sweet sweet man- and lord only knows how he's managed to stay here and function on his own for over a year now. We gave a verbal rain check about seeing the show in Budapest, so maybe there'll be more Stan stories on the way :)

Stan reading my materials - I wish you could see more clearly his chain that holds his glasses... it's precious.
a festival in Stan's town - not quite sure what the occasion was...
a poster I thought was great - I'd like one for my classroom!!
Stan in front of his school

Stan paying for his copies - with his abandoned bag off to the side...
Stan's cell phone - (one of them anyway) with his number on a post it on the outside of the phone, taped down so it doesn't come off.
Stan eating his omlete for lunch. He's suffers from sleep apnea, so he's on a restricted diet - that he occasionally follows. This includes no caffeine in the afternoon (which he also ignored). Note the characteristic "Stan" large cup of ice that he orders with every meal for any beverage. He's ordered this every time he's eaten in this country, and hasn't learned how to ask for it in Hungarian... oh Stan...
My lunch - risotto with mozzarella balls - yum!
pretty flowers - dead grass

Stan in front of the palace

Stan in the palace
the coat of arms of some guy - he died and with his death the family line stopped, so the coat is upside down at his funeral. I thought it was interesting. The docent did not think it was interesting that I was taking pictures.
a relic of the Holy Cross - as certified by the Vatican (who knew there were so many pieces around Hungary!)
Stan reading some material about Budapest that I picked up for him
the palace

No comments: