Thursday, September 3, 2009

Getting used to things?

Well, a lot has happened since my last posting, but nothing really "blog worthy" believe it or not. I celebrated my 32nd birthday - Megan came to Tata for an evening of fun out on the town. We met the new group of American soldiers. Not nearly as entertaining as the last group, but they're still new, so I'll give them some time.
Me with a very generous Boros-Cola - red wine with coke... yeah -it wasn't the first or the last that night :(

I traveled to Budapest where I met some of the new American (and British and Australian) teachers who will be spread throughout Hungary this year. Interesting group- there is not a generation gap among them, it's more like a generation canyon. They are very young - college grads this year - or older married couples. I am always interested in what drives people to move abroad to teach, and what their goals are while abroad. So, we'll see how they end up. I also got to reconnect with some "old" teachers that I hadn't seen in a while. Most entertaining was Stan - the 70? year old man who learned how to use the internet at our orientation last year. He's still thriving in Hungary - with his briefcase (which he lost at LEAST 10 times during orientation).
Me, Jon, Franny, and Tara - the "old teachers"
I took almost the same picture at this time last year - I can't believe it's been a year... yeesh.
Stan putting his passport back into his waist "important papers" holder.

School started - and it is much more calm than last year. Sure, the schedule is still fluctuating, and kids and teachers alike are still lost, but there are familiar things too so it's nice. I don't feel (as much) like the mobile freak show that I was at the beginning of last year. I know I have students who don't know ANY English, and it doesn't scare me nearly as much. Without knowing in advance, I was introduced at the opening ceremony - and of course I wasn't paying attention and as a result, my head jerked up when the headmistress said my name - highlighting the fact that I wasn't paying attention - so all the kids laughed. I guess I'm a goober in any country I teach in. There are the oh so familiar freshly cut mullets, skirts that barely cover their butt cheeks (worn with nylons of course- even though it's still in the 80's here) and the ever present whiffs of AXE body spray in different areas of the hall way.

I learn each day of more of my colleagues who speak English. I've talked before about how the Hungarians are not quick to trust - so apparently if you stick around for more than a year, you make the cut. OK - I'll take it. I had a really nice conversation with one colleague who used to teach English, but didn't stick with it. She approached me on my walk to school the first day and started speaking to me in Hungarian. I didn't know how to answer one of her questions so I said in English "No, I won't understand the meeting so I don't know why I'm going" and she replied with "oh really?" and continued to speak in English. She is starting to teach Russian this year. She's taught it before - 20 years ago- and at that time, enough of the students knew the Russian alphabet and basics of the language due to the Soviet influence. However, she's starting from square one now - so she is a bit excited and nervous at the same time.

I have three new colleagues - one male who seems very nice. He's taught in Tatabánya for 10 years, so he's not new by any means. I also have two colleagues who returned from Maternity leave. In Hungary (if I understand this correctly) you get one year of maternity leave for each child you have. So this was her second child, so she got two consecutive years.

I began each of the advanced classes with a syllabus, which should help with the end of the semester grading process - hopefully. Though I haven't planned any further than tomorrow, I feel more in control and ready for whatever is thrown at me this year.

I am running the half marathon in Budapest this weekend - so I'm trying to get prepared for that, but with all the hoo ha in Debrecen and returning to school, it's been difficult to do so. I'm as prepared as I can get, so I'm just going to do my best I suppose.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd check in and give you a brief update.

No comments: