Monday, November 30, 2009

Csenge's wand

The lessons I do with Csenge are out of a Disney themed book to teach English. Each unit revolves around a new Disney movie. We were in the “classroom” unit and the corresponding movie was The Sword in the Stone. The characters were Merlin and Arthur and various other characters from the movie. Merlin of course is a wizard, and has a pretty neat wand capable of magic. We started the unit using pencils as our “wands” but it wasn’t as fun singing along to the “triggety troggety wiggety wack” with an inanimate pencil in hand. So, I decided that I would create a wand for her to use. Luckily for me, Hungarians (like Americans) put out the Christmas decorations abnormally early – though I suppose that if several countries put out their Christmas decorations early perhaps it’s not abnormal- anyhow, I got some pink and silver tinsel, a Christmas tree star for the top and affixed them to a long wooden gulyás spoon. I used fishing wire to keep the star in place, though that lasted all of a day and a half with a 5 year old. I also got a “pretty princess” pencil case and some pencils to store in there. The classroom unit was a bit difficult because she didn’t have a pencil case, rubbers (erasers), pencils and pens readily available. So I got some of the discussed objects and put together a pencil case for her so she’d have something we could use every week. She loved it, and incidentally the erasers were also Disney princess themed – so she loved them. The look on her face when we start the Merlin song about classroom supplies was worth every penny spent on the materials. The next unit was animals and used the 101 Dalmations movie – I told her mom that I would buy Csenge a puppy to help her learn about animals J


Boo likes the wand too :)


No comments: