Monday, November 30, 2009

Music activity

I had an activity using questions about music to get the whole class talking. They worked in groups and I put each pack of note cards into an envelope. Each group would get an envelope and they would alternate asking and answering the questions regarding music. It seemed like a sure win lesson – until it took them only half the time to do it that I thought it would. So, like a good experienced teacher, I monitored and adjusted. In their groups, they had to come up with a list of the top 10 Hungarian songs of all time. They listen to a lot of American music, and it’s difficult to get many of the students to talk about Hungarian music. So, once they created their list, we put them on the board, and talked about the similarities and differences in the lists. In one class, they finished with this very quickly as well, so I had again unfilled time. I decided to throw it out there that the next task was for them to – as a group – choose one of the songs from the list and perform it for the class. When they didn’t revolt against the idea, or even complain, I went with it as if I were serious. Each group prepared a short diddy and one of them even featured a dancer – the following video is what they came up with- basically a solo effort by Szilárd…


No comments: