Sunday, August 16, 2009

I'm lovin' it - a bit too much


Well, I didn't really think through the events of my day really well today. I went for a run, and that was okay- except for I had a banana, diet coke and three chocolate chip cookies for breakfast. I did 6 miles (and by "did" I mean took ample breaks to walk and look at things - ok, just to walk). I got a bit lost on my run, though I'd like to refer to it as I went "exploring." At any rate, I finished my run. Along the way, I managed to get to the nice park/forest area. Actually, it's the "grand forest" I was told. Apparently everything in Debrecen is "grand."

While I was running in the forest, I happened upon a long street that led to a nice sized building. I didn't know what it was, and it'd knock some distance off my route- so I headed towards it. It turns out it was the main building for a cemetery. I didn't catch that until I was right up there - because I ran into no less than 15 flower vendors and a jam packed parking lot. I also had passed several walkers, and a man in a motorized cart on his way down this road; I finally understood once I got to the cemetery. They were all visiting loved ones. Apparently it's quite common to have people show up EVERY Sunday to refresh the flowers on their loved ones' graves.

I kept running and finally finished my 6 miles. I ended up "exploring" a little more than anticipated, and stopped at my 6 mile mark. Instead of continuing running, I hopped on the tram and rode it back to the city center and then walked home. On my way, sweaty and everything, I stopped at a respectable looking internet cafe that I'd passed several times on my trips around the city. I inquired about prices and services - and found out it would be fairly cheap, and possible to use my laptop at this place. My other plan (that I had done every day since arrival) was to use the free wireless internet at McDonalds. Which is where more "not thinking" came in. I got home, showered and grabbed the computer to take to the internet cafe. I was there for a half an hour, waiting to see if by any chance my parents or Justin would be online - neither were -so I headed to McDonalds to poke around on line for free.

And here I sit. Less than 30 feet away from the kiddie play area typing away at my computer that has drawn more looks than a scantily clad Hungarian girl on a hot summer day. Here is where my issue comes in. I've been to this McDonalds four times now - each day I have been here. The McDonalds network doesn't allow you to log into skype or any sort of video chat. So- while the internet is free, I can't call anyone on my computer. Additionally, Tomi has been working three of the four days I've been here. Do you think he recognizes me? I suppose he does. I have changed my seat each time, but again- the Mac draws attention. Mac users in this country are few and far between - and definitely don't frequent the local McDonalds. While I save money on the internet while sitting at McDonalds, I have a head ache that is growing as a result of my close proximity to the play area (I kind of hide around the corner so the workers don't see how long I stay- it's not as stealth as I'd like to believe it is). Also, when I stop and think about it - I paid 250 Forint (just over a dollar) for 30 minutes at the internet cafe to use their internet and my computer - with access to iChat and Skype. When I saw no one was on, I decided to transfer to McDonalds to use the free internet. BUT, since I ran into Tomi, Eva and Istvan (all three have been here at least three of the four times I have been here) I bought more than just the diet coke I usually get. I splurged for a diet coke AND a McFlurry (which was not worth the money might I add). SO - already I have spent four times what I spent at the internet cafe, and I have no connection to the people I'd like to video chat.

Ugh - my life rarely makes sense.

p.s. - they have a code you have to use to get into the bathroom... and they haven't changed it in 4 days. I'll let you know if they ever change it - otherwise, I'm going to be one of those people who visits the bathroom withOUT having purchased anything. I've memorized it, why not?

1 comment:

Christie said...

isn't that sweet and a little weird about going to the cemetery every week?

where did you get chocolate chip cookies?!

bathroom codes make me smile. if they ever do change it and you don't want to buy something you can just ask one of your new friends for the code. they usually give it up (in my experience).