Saturday, August 29, 2009

Last days in Debrecen

During the first part of last week, I was to be working with an English "camp." Ok - not quite sure what that entailed (and in very Hungarian fashion, I didn't find out until I showed up). It was a 7 year old, two 8 year olds, two 10 year olds a 12 year old and a 15 year old. So, so far they did not have an age or grade in common. The only thing they DID have in common is that none of them spoke English. I showed up for my first day with them and we were immediately rousted out the door. My two hours with these kids today was to be spent playing pool. I'm sorry, what? Yes, I typed it correctly, playing pool. They did not know me, I didn't know them. I didn't know where we were going, supposedly they did... it was off to a great start.

I know I signed up here to teach English, but I've never worked with TOTAL non-English speakers. It was a bit intimidating for me. I managed to squeak out some Hungarian and communicate loosely with them as a result of a couple of key phrases, but it was not my favorite day as an educator.




No comments: