Saturday, August 29, 2009

it's all in the attitude


I started out a couple days ago dreading the run I had to do. I am off a few days as a result of my not so timely departure from Debrecen and I needed to do just a three mile run. At this point in my training, the 3 mile runs are like eating ice cream on a hot day- a treat - compared to the longer runs. I was not looking forward to this run, and put it off until about 10:30 - when it was just hitting the top degrees of heat for the day. Smart Carla, real smart. I took off without water, since it was only three miles (stupid) and turned my music up louder than usual to help invigorate me as I set off.

Almost immediately, I ran into four of my FAVORITE 9th grade students from last year. They called my name, but since my music was a bit loud I didn't hear them at first. I finally heard the joint shouting and stopped to chat with them for a bit. They are not excited to return to school next week (like many students this time of year) and they were probably not shocked to learn that I can hardly wait for school to start. We talked for a few minutes and I was on my way. It was good for them, since I was clearly out of context, and it was probably the first time all summer they had spoken English, so it was a jolt of what's coming next week. He he he.

I continued on, already hot and sweaty though I had gone less than 2 tenths of a mile, upset with myself for not bringing water. I got to the lake and made my way around to the pathway not looking forward to running against the grain of Hungarians who never move out of the way. I kept the radio loud and my eyes on the path and charged on.

For a long time, I've been using the running program of "run for 10 minutes, walk for one." Well actually, I use it when it's convenient and I give myself an excuse to walk - so I guess I'm not that faithful, but it comes in handy when I need it. Almost immediately upon reaching 10 minutes, I halted to a stop and walked... slowly. About two minutes and thirty seconds into my minute of walking, I got tapped on the shoulder by a fellow runner. He continued on, but turned around and motioned for me to get moving and run with him. I wasn't sure what the hell was happening since I clearly did not know this guy. I turned around and he pointed at me, and doubled back - all while keeping his legs moving at a running pace. He started talking to me in Hungarian, and basically said "you're a runner, I can tell- get running!" I looked at him with a pleading face and choked out "no, I'm slow today." Then, he went on for about a minute about my shorts - I didn't understand at first, but he was questioning why I was wearing "under armor" compression shorts (like biker shorts) under my Nike running shorts. I still didn't quite get it, so he lifted his shirt up, showed me some chafing on his chest and pointed at it and then my shorts. I finally got it and said - "ja.... nincs" basically, oh I get it, no I don't have chafing. He then went on about chafing and said he had to use vaseline, and I said it wasn't necessary with those type of shorts. He thanked me, wished me luck and ran on. I started up again with a smile on my face- ready to finish this three mile beast.

I don't know if it is because he is Hungarian or because he is a runner - but at that moment, when I was doubtful that I could even move three miles, I was extremely proud to be a member of both communities (even though one of them is just a loose association). There is something about Hungarian people that causes them to reach out, when they know you need it. Sure, I have the crazy neighbor ladies, and occasional run ins with crabby neni's, but generally speaking Hungarians are an amazing people who have overcome great odds.

I finished my run, though not as strong as I had hoped, but I finished. I was able to do so because of my encounter with the 9th grade students and with a complete stranger- a runner-who had given me the faith in myself to keep going- with or without Vaseline.

No comments: