Monday, August 3, 2009

random festival in Tata

On Sunday I was relaxing and trying to sleep in a bit - didn't work. I heard music and microphones starting at about 9:00 (though I'd been up for three hours already - phoey). After about an hour or so, I decided I was curious as to what was the cause of the music and the people talking in the microphone. I wandered back over to where the race start was, and sure enough, there was a festival going on. The Porcinkula. I don't know what it is, or what the purpose was - though it was heavily geared towards kids - so I checked it out for a bit. I also returned later in the evening because I saw that two of my students were going to be dancing. Little did I know the program that was to be performed!


There were bumper cars - though doesn't it defeat the purpose if it's only one car and all you do is drive around in circles?
50 Cent is alive and well in bling here in Hungary - though I understand he's more into argyle than bling now...
When in doubt - buy a knife - or break out your binoculars and look around like the guy in the green.
Here is the "cultural house" with several booths set up in front of it. They were selling a lot of the same things I've encountered at other fairs.

The dancers were on for two hours before I left - it started with these girls:
There were "majorettes" - apparently baton twirling is VERY popular here in Hungary.

Here they are after their costume change - getting jiggy near the audience :)

The two girls in front are both my students. Ági and Vanessza. Ági wears a back brace during school for scholiosis -but she busted a move in this dance. I was happy to see them perform!

And of course -it wouldn't be a Hungarian celebration without ... belly dancers? I spared you a picture of the group of belly dancers - I think it is their mid-life crisis activity since they were all mid-40's - 60's. And who ever heard of a belly dancer with a cane? Check out this lady above. Weird.
Here's Vanessza and another lady dancing again.

No comments: