Saturday, October 17, 2009

"Canoeing up the Danube"

It wasn't so much canoeing as it was EXTREME canoeing - and not so much up the Danube as it was leading to the Danube... nonetheless it was a great experience. I wrote earlier that Bence's family had asked me to join them for a canoe excursion. I wasn't sure what to expect - so I didn't expect anything really... as is always the best plan in a foreign country.

They picked me up Saturday morning... well Bence's dad had called the night before to say they'd pick me up at quarter past nine. So, when I received a call at 8:56 asking when I would meet them, I was a little surprised. I tore out of my apartment, grabbing an extra shirt, a plastic bag, a small backpack and my camera.

They drove me all of a quarter of a mile to the "Danube" - or a small creek that leads to the Danube. We were going to be canoeing on this small creek that is water draining from the lake in Tata. Our lake in Tata is man-made. Each fall, they drain it (not sure why) and capture - I mean "catch" all the fish that are in the lake. The fish catching is quite a large event that coincides with the October 23rd holiday. The canoeing event happens the first weekend in October - the first time they start to release the water from the lake. So this normally grungy ditch turns into a fast running creek.

Bence waiting to get started!

the canoes lining up at the creek side

Dori getting into the water in her canoe (in the brown shirt)

canoes and more canoes

eating sandwiches before the start - you know, because it's 9:30 am...

I was amazed at all the people who were there participating. I bet there were no fewer than 400 people who took part in this canoe excursion - many of them drunk before it started. I was offered the requisite pálinka and politely denied -stating that drinking and canoeing is frowned upon in my country. We registered, and received our t-shirts (yes!!!!!), I met Bence's sisters who would be in a different canoe and we prepared to start. The event was open from 10-2 you could start at any time that you wanted. We waited our turn and launched our canoe into the creek. I was in front, then Bence's dad Zsolt, his mom Ági, and Bence steering.

It was really pleasant. We hardly had to do any work because the water was moving so fast! We had 14 km to canoe and it went very fast. The scenery was interesting because it was parts that I had not seen - fields and homes along the water - really beautiful. I took pictures from the front of the canoe when I wasn't paddling, enjoying the picture taking too much to put my camera in the plastic bag I had in my backpack... after all - how many times does one get to canoe in a creek that only exists for one month each year.

sharp turns along the way

from the front row seat!
a little debris never stopped anyone
looking behind

The event was kind of a Hungarian version of floating down the Apple River. People were drinking, singing, parking on the creek sides to relax - it was fun. The weather was nice too - sunny and just a bit of a fall chill in the air. I was thoroughly pleased that I agreed to go on this trip. It was relaxing, and I got to spend some time with more Hungarians that I hadn't met yet. Bence's dad speaks English so I was able to talk with him and Bence - and the mom through them. All was going well until I heard from the back "nyugi Anya, nyugi" (relax mom, relax) and then we swayed sharply from side to side and tipped in the water. It wasn't so bad since the water was only waist deep, but it was a bit gross and chilly. I managed to go under all except my head, but the others were head to toe wet. They didn't seem to mind as much because they weren't carrying a camera - their electronics were sealed in a tupperware container in Zsolt's backpack. Dang it. We re-grouped and clambored back into the canoe and continued on. It didn't help that we received lots of pity stares from drunk Hungarian men who really deserved to be in the water more than us, but such is the luck of the draw. Also, I don't want to put all the blame on Bence's mom - it was a team fail... so we all were to blame.

Admittedly, there was some rough rowing while we were in the canoe - there were some "falls" which I deemed a bit scary since I was in front - and there were some tricky turns to maneuver also. Unfortunately, we tipped as a result of bumping into the side of the bank. oh well.

When we reached the end, we were treated to hot gulyás - I thought I'd practice my Hungarian and deemed it "babaleves" - Bence's dad laughed and said yes it was - though Bence, being the teenage boy and the student corrected his teacher and told me it was "bableves, nem babaleves." Apparently I had said it was baby-soup, (babaleves) not bean soup (bableves) - ahhh the Hungarian language. Before we had the gulyás though, we had to dry off. Bence's mom had brought an entire change of clothes for me, just in case. There were pants, a shirt, socks, shoes and underwear. I put on the pants and the socks and shoes, used my dry shirt and headed for some delicious gulyás.

What a great day to spend doing something I'd never tried before. I love this country!



No comments: