Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Prague - Fall break!

This trip started out so smoothly it was almost unbelievable. I had no trouble or stress getting to the train station, to Budapest and on to the correct train. Boo was all ready to come with, but I had to leave her behind in the oh-so capable hands of Zsuzsi my cat sitter.

The train ride to Prague was beautiful. I was in a part of Hungary that I haven’t seen yet, and I got to pass through Slovakia on the way to the Czech Republic. It was a really nice train ride, and it went fairly fast. It’s 7 and a half hours from Budapest to Prague – roughly. For the first three hours I had a four seat area to myself, but after a while and as we got closer to Prague, more people loaded in on the train- ah such is life.

My first night here, I relaxed a bit and just settled into the hostel. I wasn’t feeling the best, and I figured it’d be the best idea to get a good night’s sleep and be ready for the next day of walking and sightseeing. It’s a very interesting hostel. It’s basically old apartments that they’ve converted into a hostel. I am in a 3 person room – with 4 beds.

the bedroom - my bed is on the left hidden in the corner


the kitchen and common area

There was only one other person in my room (naturally an Asian woman) though she was not like the other Asians I have stayed with J My room was right off the “common room” which was never really that busy. The only drawback is that my bed is against the wall – and directly on the other side is the public computer. This wasn’t even really a problem since I have TWO pair of ear plugs with me this time. However, when I was reading the first night (fighting to not fall asleep before 8 pm – no joke) it sounded as if there was one half of a dueling keyboards session. Seriously, it was as if someone was tap dancing on the keyboard. I can type fast, but I don’t usually type with force. This was obviously someone who was angry while typing – tiggita tiggita TAP TAP TAP tiggita tiggita TAP! It literally sounded like tap dancing, but I knew it was only the keyboard. I’d sure hate to be on the receiving end of that Facebook message!

The other interesting aspect of hostel living is that there is never that much actual wall between you and the room next to you. There was a nice couple in the room next to us (I use the word “couple” lightly and you’ll see why). They opted to have a conversation about the status of their “relationship” after having a few drinks out on the town. I was reading at the time, not sleeping yet, so I paused to listen to a bit. Unfortunately, the guy had already decided that it “just wasn’t going to work” between them and he “wasn’t sure why she came along on this trip”. His friends “think I’m crazy to even be talking to you let alone traveling with you.” She was a bit stubborn and responded with “I have every right to be in Prague right now, don’t I?” Yadda yadda yadda – desperate girl – yadda yadda, It was kind of funny, but I felt bad when I ran into her in the common room later that night. She seemed like a nice enough person.

Anyhow – I decided upon arrival in Prague that it was too big a city with too much information to go through – I had to carry the Lonely Planet with me. I abandoned any pretense to avoid looking like a tourist (which I often try – unsuccessfully- to do when traveling). I set out bright and early the next morning with an eager anticipation of meeting up with Megan and her mom. When I say bright and early, I mean I was out of the hostel by 6:50. Could I do that on a school day? No. But I was in Prague and I wasn’t going to waste any daylight. It was a bit of a gloomy morning, but I wandered for quite a bit – getting lost in the process – but having enough time to kill that it didn’t matter. Prague is a complex city. It has many different areas that each have their own flavor. I enjoyed meandering through the different side streets and seeing the great Old Town Square. I am constantly amazed at the beauty of many of these European cities. Prague especially since there were only a couple of buildings that were affected by the wars. I feel like if Hungary ever came upon some money, Budapest could be restored to be as beautiful as Prague one day. I met up with Megan and her mom and we had a wonderful walking tour. I’ll let the pictures do the rest of the talking (once they get posted)… as nothing too eventful happened.

No comments: