Thursday, October 8, 2009

My Hungarian "good-bye" (I know it's a bit early)


Earlier this week, we had our school "fall meeting." The whole school comes together and airs their complaints and announcements. The Headmistress starts the whole thing off, and then basically anyone is welcome to speak. I chose this occasion to say a "goodbye" to the students and faculty since there won't be another opportunity like this. I'm trying to upload the video, but it's taking for ever with my squirrel run connection...

The following is the text I read:

Faculty, staff and students of Eötvös József Gimnázium,

Kedves tantestület, diákok, és az Eötvös József Gimnázium minden dolgozója!

In a few short months, I will be returning to teach in the United States. Before I leave, I would like to take the opportunity to thank all of you for welcoming me to your school.

Néhány rövid hónap múlva visszatérek tanítani az Egyesült Államokba. Mielőtt elmegyek, szeretném megragadni az alkalmat, és köszönetet mondani azért, ahogy az iskolában fogadtak.

Your kindness, care and concern for me will never be forgotten. I will always speak highly of my colleagues and students and of all things Hungarian.

Kedvességüket, gondviselésüket és törődésüket soha nem felejtem el. Mindig nagyra fogom becsülni magyar kollégáimat, diákjaimat és mindent, amiben itt részem volt.

I will miss Eötvös and Tata when I return home. Thank you for all you have done for me.

Nagyon fog hiányozni Tata és az Eötvös, amikor hazatérek. Köszönök mindent, amit értem tettek!



1 comment:

Christie said...

you read that?!?! omg, way to go. what was the response? more cheek kisses than you could count? or did you assault them with the american hug? either way, well done!