Thursday, October 1, 2009

Musings

I haven’t written much lately on the blog and I realize that. I don’t know if it’s because I’ve just gotten used to the “funny” things here or if I have just been too busy. I’m not sure what the cause is, but let me tell you – these last few months are going to go fast – super fast. I have a sort of count down until I come home – but it’s not something I think about often. I’m going to miss these kids dearly- and the whole Hungarian experience as well. We were doing an activity with my students this week where we had to identify groups that we belong to that make up our identity. Using me as an example, they came up with runner, teacher, American – things like this. Obviously these are groups that I belong to that make me who I am. It was interesting that in almost every class they brought up Hungary. Whether it was that I belong to a group of “wannabe” Hungarians or “adopted” Hungarians – or even in one class “a true Hungarian.” It was nice, and they wanted to let me know that I’d passed the test and was an acceptable American-Hungarian. I don’t know when I’ll be in this country next – perhaps for the szalagavato of my ninth graders from last year (so in another 4 years) but I hope to return soon as it is now yet another part of my identity.

Speaking of my 9th graders from last year, I was invited to attend a family canoeing trip with Bence Papp – one of the funniest students I had last year. He raised his hand in class and said “Carla, my father would like to invite you to come canoeing with my family.” Without hesitating, I asked where and when – and committed to attending. The next week, I was told that it wasn’t just a family trip canoeing, I’d be canoeing UP the Danube, that it was a race, and that there would be gulyás afterwards. Now this was shaping up into yet another experience I’m not quite ready for. I’m not entirely sure what is happening, but there is some race, and I get a t-shirt, and if it rains I should wear a jacket. That’s as far as I’ve gotten on the instructions – and it’s this Saturday. So – wish me luck on my first foreign canoeing race… or whatever it is.

1 comment:

MoSchu said...

Oh boy, Staffa, you get yourself into some interesting trouble over there!