Sunday, January 4, 2009

English Christmas Party

































On Tuesday, we had our “English Christmas Party.”  Students had been preparing their songs and routines for three weeks, in the hopes of performing well at the party.  Unless of course you are the too cool 13A class, then you practice the day of, and it’s fine.  I too was excited for the party, though – as usual- I didn’t really know what to expect.  I was told that people bring cookies to share with others, so I decided I’d make some cookies too.  I found a sugar cookie recipe on-line, and made a double batch.  I had forgotten how much work goes into cookies that are rolled, cut out and later frosted.  It was three day process.  I decided at the last minute that I would make frosting, as they were incredibly dry without it – I should know, I tasted about 2 dozen of them – just to make sure J  I proudly arrived at school on Tuesday with two HUGE tupperware containers filled with a little bit of American Christmas inside.  I offered cookies to all the secretaries, the lunch ladies, the door guard – I was a hit!  The real test came when I offered them to colleagues.  They loved them!  We practiced all day for the big party –and by the 6th period, I was ready.  I was told by a colleague that I was to “supervise” the ones who still needed to practice after school.  Tuesdays are faculty meeting days, so no other teacher was available.  That was no problem, how long could their meeting possibly last?  Zsuza gave me a list of songs and said – “here’s the order by the way, you’re in charge.”  What?  In charge of what?  Who?  Why?  Zsuza left, and Erzebet pointed me to the teachers table.  When I asked where the cookies went, she told me “well on the teacher’s table of course.”  I was of course under the impression (I don’t even know why I have impressions anymore) that we’d set our cookies out for everyone to share and enjoy – kind of a line that people could walk through and take what they’d like to try.  Oh no no no.  If you made cookies, they were for your table.  OK, well, I had two HUGE containers, and not enough colleagues to eat them.  Oh well.  More and more students began to flood into the room (the all purpose room used for prom, jewelry auctions, choir concerts etc.) and I wasn’t sure if they were all supposed to be there or not.  Well, whatever I could man a whole room of students right?  Each class claimed a table and started to share their cookies.  I grabbed a container of mine and brought them to the 9th grade students.  They devoured most of them and passed them on to other students.  It was creeping closer to 2:30 (the start time of the performances) and no other teachers were to be found.  The “teachers table” was abandoned except for my lone container of sugar cookies.  What was the deal?  Where were they?  At 2:45, students (namely the 13A students) were getting a bit impatient and wanted to start.  Well – I had the list, and a microphone and all eyes were on me.  The 13A students started to clap, hoping that it would prod me to start, and I waited another couple of minutes just to spite them.  Then I thought, well, what the heck- here goes nothing.  I started off by introducing myself and then pointed out how this seemed like a cruel joke by the English teachers on me – they told me all about this fun party, and then abandoned me to run it myself – so we were going to do it my way, and we got started.  I was a pretty good emcee- even though we heard the same song three times (in very different fashions mind you) and the kids did a nice job.  After the second group performed, the English teachers snuck into the room and finally joined us after their meeting.  At the end of the program, the tech guy Freddie (who still runs every time he sees me) rallied and put up some Christmas karaoke for us to sing.  It was probably the most interesting karaoke I have seen in my life.  Mostly because as we were singing Jingle bells, the background pictures were clown fish and waterfalls.  Really Freddie?  At any rate, we all sang along to about 5 karaoke songs, and then the party was over.  Good times had by all.  

1 comment:

Meg Tredinnick said...

Nice spelling translations;)