Saturday, January 3, 2009

Score: Hungarian Transportation systems:50  Carla: -8

So – I have not blogged in a long time, so there will be many entries to follow, but instead of starting as far back as I should, I’m going to start with the last two days.  We returned from our Lampoons Christmas Vacation a bit early partly because we were running out of money, and partly because we were running low on patience.  So I had New Years and the next four days to myself in Tata.  Yesterday, I decided I’d spend the morning searching for clearance items at the Tatabánya mall.  So I dutifully walked to the bus stop in hopes of catching a bust to Tatabánya.  The times for these buses were still a crap shoot for me as I couldn’t figure out the Hungarian to look them up on-line.  Also, the timetable I was given is just good for Tata and the bus lines within my town.  As it turns out, my timing was pretty good and a bus came right away.  I don’t know if it was because it was 10:00 on a Friday, or what, but the bus was FULL of old Hungarians.  Perhaps they were on their way to the mall too?  Who knows.  The ride from Tata to Tatabánya could be one of the prettiest I’ve encountered in my time here in Hungary.  There are the hills that border Slovakia and the lakes of Tata – it’s just beautiful.  At any rate, we get to the mall/bus station and all file off the bus.  You have to enter the mall through the bus station and then up an escalator to the first level.  As I walked toward the escalator, I noticed that all the old people from my bus were lining up to get to the door that would ultimately take you to the escalator and the mall.  As per my keen observation skills, I stopped, got in line as well and waited.  And waited. And waited.  I didn’t really know what was going on, was the mall not open?  Sure it was, people were coming DOWN the escalator, with packages (though that can be deceiving as I’ve discussed how the Hungarians recycle bags and have a bag with them at all times – not necessarily because they just made a purchase).  At any rate, were we having to pay to get into the mall?  Was this some sort of after New Year’s sale that required an entrance fee?  I wasn’t sure.  Some of the Hungarians were returning to their friends saying that there were only two people there – I don’t know if they said they were working or what, but they were not happy.  Then, some of the people in the front of the line were returning with photocopies of the new bus schedule.  Ok, but wait… if this was only about photocopies, why was it taking so long?  I still couldn’t figure it out –and then it hit me.  All these people were in line to get their “January” bus pass.  They had to show identification, and in some cases pay for their pass – and in turn receive the new bus schedule.  That’s what was taking so long – they were having to fill out bus passes for all these people.  Crap crap crap.  I just waited (like a dumbass) in line for 15 minutes for no reason.  I don’t need a Tatabánya bus pass.  Crap.  Oh well.  So my powers of observation lead me astray.  I nudged to the front and passed all the blue hairs to continue on my shopping venture.  (which produced absolutely nothing if you’re curious). 

 

This morning – I had yet another wonderful experience with the Tata bus system.  Just when I think I’m getting ahead of the game, I fall miserably behind.  I decided yesterday that having had 2.5 days of doing nothing, that I would venture out to another Hungarian city.  It pretty much was a game of close your eyes and point – that’s where you’re going – but I decided on Székesfehérvár which is about an hour and a half away.  It’s the oldest Hungarian settlement and looked to have some promising buildings and churches.  OK – set. Székesfehérvár here I come.  I decided that I’d take the 7:39 train so that it’d go a different route than to Budapest and then south.  I’d like to see a new route in Hungary and this excursion could take me there.  So – I checked my bus schedule, and it’s Saturday – not so much a holiday, though many things are closed here- and figured the 7:15 bus would be best for me to get to the train station on time.  As I waited for the bus, I marveled at the species that is old Hungarian women.  Without fail, each time I wait for the bus going toward the train station, there are at least 2 or 3 women watching out of their windows.  They aren’t necessarily watching me, but just watching things.  Thinking nasty (side note: holy crap, the train ticket guy just scared the shit out of me) thoughts about people – foreigners especially.  Just kidding, they aren’t thinking mean things, they just look like they are.  At any rate, it was a crisp winter morning – about 19 degrees out, and I had put on my tennis shoes (anticipating walking through Székesfehérvár) and anklets that are blister proof.  I also had on a scarf, mittens and a hat – after all, I’m from Minnesota right- I needed to be ready for this kind of weather.  I watched as the #8 drove by, the #5, the #7 – (I’d never seen a 7 before – I wonder where that goes…) and then buses to Baj, Tatabánya and Esztergom.  Where was the #1?  Twenty mintues goes by, I know that the #1 has to come – it said 7:15 on my sheet.  Why wouldn’t it come?  Was just the #1 line on strike?  What was happening?  How could the #1’s fail me now?  It’s cold, I have on tennis shoes (that have vents to let air in while you’re running) and anklets.  I may be from Minnesota, but I didn’t put on the proper socks and shoes, that’s for sure.  Where is the #1?  It’s now 7:30 – I have 9 minutes to get a bus, get to the train station, get a ticket and board the proper train.  Crap.  It’s 7:35… there’s no way I’m going to make this train.  Damn.  WHERE IS THE #1?  I have been out here for over a half an hour – and the old Hungarian women are certainly talking about this crazy girl at the bus stop by now.  Sheesh.  Finally, at 7:40, the bus pulls up.  I wait by the front door, not noticing that the sign on it says “broken” – after about 20 seconds the bus driver pointed at the back door for me to get on.  ARGH!  Could anything go right today?  I get on, at and sit down at 7:42. Once I got to the train station, I realized that the bus schedules had switched as of January 1st.  Why?  Who knows.  Lucikly I have the printouts for the rest of the trains that will get me to Székesfehérvár since I clearly missed my intended one.  Oh well – what’s a half an hour at the train station?  Well, let me tell you.  It’s a half an hour with 7 of Tata’s homeless men.  Admittedly, I was a little nervous at first, especially since I had my computer in my backpack – and I didn’t want it stolen.  However, they didn’t harm me, other than an occasional whiff of something a little foul.  In fact, I tried to buy a cup of coffee from the machine just to warm me up, and they stopped me to tell me that the coffee was out, but that it would take your money anyway so I shouldn’t buy any.  Ok- threat basically gone.  I sat in full view of the ticket counter lady – not that she’d jump to my rescue, but if something happened, maybe she’d see it.  OK – so now I’m on the 8:16 train to Székesfehérvár via Budapest.  Not too bad.  Wish me luck in this city today!

No comments: