Saturday, January 10, 2009

Székesfehérvár








The pictures are of the early ruins of the town, St. Stephen (founder of Hungary in 1000) is supposedly buried in the white tomb in the foreground of the picture.  The second pic is a monument to St. Stephen, next is a picture of the street, a picture of their famous clock, and another picture of the street.



















































I decided that I couldn’t spend 5 days in a row in Tata doing nothing, so on Saturday, I took off for Székesfehérvár.  I’ve talked about the drama in getting there in my post about the transportation system.  Here are some pictures from this cute town.  I read that it’s the oldest settlement in Hungary, and the Germans launched their last offensive from the streets of Székesfehérvár during World War II.  The “old town” has been preserved quite well, but everything outside of this small area was destroyed so Tesco and McDonalds has popped up close by.  At any rate, I had a wonderful day there, and I am glad I took the time to travel there. 

No comments: