Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Education isn't perfect... anywhere.

Education isn’t perfect anywhere I guess… I was originally impressed with all aspects of my students here in Hungary.  However, as the “new country” has worn off and I have settled in fully to the job, lifestyle and society here I have been made aware of some things I don’t really agree with. 

Let me start by explaining the education system here as I see it.  The children go to school through the 12th grade, or as in my school some through the 13th grade.  Those who are in high school through the 13th grade are typically in either a German or English bi-lingual program.  The intent of these programs is to make the students fluent in the second language, so it’s set up for 5 years.  At the end of their 12th (or 13th year) the students have a series of 5 exams.  From my understanding, they all have to take a mathematics, Hungarian Literature, and history exam.  Then, they can choose two other subjects to take their exams in.  In May, they have the written exams, and in June, they have the oral exam for each corresponding subject.  They have to achieve a certain score on these exams, and depending on how well they do, it dictates which universities they can attend.  So, if they do well on the exams, they can basically choose which University they want to attend.  If they don’t do so well, they will drop to a lower tier of schools they have to choose from.   SO – they have a tremendous amount of pressure on them to do well on these exams as it’s their only ticket to college.  Additionally, they have not had end of the term or year exams since they started high school so they are not prepared for this level of exams. 

The issue I’m running into is that they 12th graders who will be here for a 13th year are taking some of the exams early to “get them out of the way.”  It’s fine, but in the mean time, they miss class for several days or the entire week before an exam.  Of course I’m not made aware of their absence, and it throws off the education process in their other classes.  However, they also realize that the classes that best prepare them for these exams are the “most important.”  So, English conversation class, while you’d think it would help them prepare for their English exam, is dropped down to the lower rung of importance.  Having said that, they have selectively chosen which classes they will complete homework for.  My class rarely is the one they do the tasks for.  When asked why they don’t do the homework I’ve assigned, I’ve received responses such as, “It didn’t interest me,” “Oh I’m so sorry Carla, I didn’t have time to do your work” or “I had other lessons to prepare for so I couldn’t complete the work.”  While it’s very polite in nature, it’s crap.  I didn’t have TIME to do your work?  Why not?  I had two students who say through the final exam and one didn’t fill in a thing, and the other marked the same answer for every question.  Seriously?  Then you get a zero.  No problem. 

I began to get very frustrated with this and basically told the 12A students that if they weren’t going to do the work I assigned, I wasn’t going to plan any more for their classes. The last three weeks of school, I attended class, but read a book each time, not bothering to discuss anything or prepare anything for them to do.  I don’t know if my strategy worked or not, but I’ve had some additional homework assignments trickle in during the last week to try and make up for it I suppose.

I thought that with my perspective and experience, it would be easy to teach this class.  However, when I asked what they wanted to do for class, they responded with “watch American films” and “play games.”  I’m a better teacher than one who plays games for class, so this made me a bit upset that this was what they wanted to do with my time.  At any rate there is a certain sense of entitlement among students – world wide – that is really frustrating.  It’s not any better in the states, but it amazes me that a student has the nerve to tell their teacher that the homework they assigned “didn’t interest them” and that is why it isn’t finished.  In the United States, students are torn between school, work, extra-curriculars and friends.  Here, they aren’t allowed to work during the week, but they have almost as many things to keep them busy.  However, they are still students first in my mind.  Hopefully some time soon they will learn that they have opportunities that they should not pass up in life, and having a well rounded education is one of them. 

Below is my end of the year letter I passed out to my students of this particular class that I speak of.  I wrote it, with the editing help of my parents, to try and get a message across that they had better be ready for next year.  I hope the message gets across.

------------------------------------------------------------

Dear 12 A – 2008/2009,

            When I started getting information about my placement in Tata, I had no idea that it would lead to where I am today.  I was expecting that I would struggle teaching those who knew little English, and really be able to do amazing things with those who were close to fluent in English.  I found actuality to be more the opposite though.  My 9th graders are eager to learn anything they can from dances & songs to culture to current events to American History, while many of my 12th and 13th grade students didn’t seem to “value” many of the activities I planned.  This made for a very difficult year here at Eötvös.

            I came here to teach non-native English speakers about my country, my culture and most importantly, my language.  I also came here to learn - about your country, your culture, and your language.  While I have embraced many things Hungarian, I have also learned that I need to be much more explicit in my expectations for classes next year if I am required to work with your group. 

I am not sure if it is a cultural difference, or the students trying to pull one over on the “American teacher,” but excuses like “I didn’t have time to do your tasks” and “it didn’t really interest me” don’t work for me.  Not taking the final exam, or turning the test in blank or without any effort - your grade will reflect that it is not an acceptable practice for my class.  Though you may not understand my reasoning for giving you the assignments I do, this is not a 50-50 relationship.  Ultimately, I’m the teacher, and it’s your job to be the student.   

            I don’t expect you to like everything I assign, but know that I’m not doing it to “embitter” students or because I think my class is most important; do I think it’s important, yes… most important?  Probably not, but I put a lot of time and energy into what I do.  You have an opportunity that many other students in this country don’t have, the chance to work closely with a native English speaker.  It is my feeling that many of you think that you know enough English already; how wrong you are.  I hope you NEVER stop learning, whatever it may be – and since you’re in a bi-lingual language program, I hope you never stop seeking out new ways to learn English.  It is not entirely your fault that the “native speaker class” has become one that is “not as important” as the others.  That is the result of other teachers not expecting more of you and you not wanting additional challenges and homework.  Students with your ability and intellect should demand that the native teacher expose you to more challenging things, even if it means doing homework – or why would you invest the time in becoming fluent in English?  It’s embarrassing that you don’t expect more of the native speaker.  Additionally, it’s an insult to me that you think the best activities for us to do are games of Boggle and to watch American films.  I have a Masters Degree in Education and Curriculum Instruction – I know how to plan activities to make a class interesting.  You said yourselves that you were aware right away that I was very different from some of your previous native teachers, yet you didn’t adjust to meet my new set of expectations, that doesn’t make sense. 

            For the most part, I have enjoyed working with your group.  Until recently you were the main reason I decided to come back next year.  I enjoy you as people and learning about things Hungarian from you.  However, as students, you leave much to be desired.  There is no question that you are a smart group of individuals, but in life, it’s not your turn to be selectively intelligent right now.  Save that for when you get into University.  Right now, take time to soak up what your teachers are teaching you, from the book or not.  Obviously, my frustration is not directed at all of you, for there are some students who have really worked hard.  I appreciate that, and I hope you benefited from my teaching. 

            Life is about attitude, and right now, I don’t have the best attitude toward your class as a result of the lack of effort from some of you that I have seen recently.  I also think that some of you probably have a negative attitude towards me and the classes I teach.  Thankfully, the summer is almost here, and we all have a chance to re-visit our attitudes for a new start to the next year.  Be ready in the fall as my expectations will not change.  However, I will come with a better laid out plan that you can choose to follow at your own level, earning whatever grade you receive.  This will give you the chance to better involve yourself in your education as you see fit. 

            Thank you for all you have taught me this year, my experience here is making me a better teacher.  I value your opinion, thoughts and perspective, so please feel free to contact me if you wish.  Also, I still don’t have any real friends here, so if you’re bored this summer, feel free to call or e-mail.

Have a good summer!

Carla, the Native Speaker  J

castaffa@yahoo.com

 

I want to teach my students more than lessons in a book; 


I want to teach them deeper things that people overlook... 


The value of a rose in bloom, Its use and beauty too; 


A sense of curiosity to discover what is true; 


How to think and how to choose the right above the wrong; 


How to live and learn each day and grow up to be strong; 


To teach them always how to gain in wisdom and in grace; 


So they will someday make the world a brighter, better place. 


 Let me be the friend and guide to give these minds a start... 


Upon their way down life's long road then I'll have done my part.

~Written by Jim Wolf

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said Carla!