Saturday, June 27, 2009

Food experience at the Sokadalom festival

We had yet another interesting food experience while at the festival.  I have always ragged Justin about "pointing and grunting" when he wants something, and yet it's exactly what I did when I got to the front of the line.  I wanted to try something new, so I pointed to what looked like a sausage stew.  The clerk looked at me and said in Hungarian "do you know what it is?" and when I looked at her and said (in English) "no I don't" she paused and quickly responded in English with "it's rooster testicle stew"  I responded "ok, then I'll have the sauerkraut and pork."  I'm a big proponent of trying everything once, but I couldn't do a large bowl of rooster testicle stew - especially since I was really hungry.  She gave me a spoonful anyway, and I decided to try it.  Below is the photojournalistic skills of Justin at work, capturing my rooster testicle experience...








This is the sample.  I'm pretty sure it was a sausage made out of rooster testicles.  I don't think this is actually one testicle.  At any rate, I saved half of it for Justin, and though it took some coaxing (pleading really) but he tried it too.  Nothing says "I love you" like eating rooster testicles.

Here's Justin and our food.

No comments: