Monday, June 29, 2009

Last minute lessons

I got a little creative towards the end of the school year.  I decided since I had five lessons with the 9th graders each week, I'd do some sort of unit that I could drag out a bit.  I decided on Haiku poetry.  I combined aspects from different things I found on the internet, and we gave it a whirl.  Using the construction paper my parents hauled over from the states, we created our very own poetry gallery in the 9th grade classrooms.  It ended up being a tremendous success, and though some of them are not the strongest Haiku I've ever seen, they now can say that not only can they speak English, they can create poetry in it too.  I was surprised by some of the students who really got into the assignment.  Barna (my goth boy) went home and wrote about 9 poems, and Balint (the first day fainter) created a series of insightful poems I would have NEVER expected.
 
Viki, Zsofi and Jenny
Agi's poem
 
Zsofi's poem.  
Bence Papp created his in the shape of a viking hat - though his poem was about butterflies... not sure of the connection.
their poems are so bright, they have to wear shades!
Anna, Áron and Viki
Barna and his poem.

No comments: