Saturday, June 6, 2009

NEVER leave your apartment without the camera

If you enlarge the picture (by clicking on it) you can see Boo peeking down from the middle balcony  :)
The Horse and carriage rolling down my not so scenic street.


It's only 10:15 here in scenic Tata, and what a day I've had already.  I got up and ventured to the hair salon to "make an appointment" for later today.  It was the first time I went in the shop and did not immediately brandish a note written by one of my students saying that I .  I didn't even have a security note in my pocket incase things went awry... I did it all on my own.  I was told to come back at 9:30.  Great - I'd have time to get in a quick run (and by quick I mean short, not fast) shower and return to the hair salon just in time.  As I returned home, I passed many street vendors selling flowers from their yards and cherries from their trees.  They were what I would call "typical Hungarian neni's" (old women) wearing nylons, open comfortable sandals, a skirt and mis-matched dress top, a vest and a handkerchief around the head.  I stopped and watched as a man and his small child bought a small boquet of daises, exchanging about $2.00 pleasing both sides of the transaction equally.  I changed and set off on my run, forgetting water and my radio in the process.  I can't remember the last time I ran without music, but perhaps it was all a part of my taking time to smell the roses in Tata.  

I set off on my run, and went a different way than usual.  I headed toward the castle and as I got close, I noticed a figure walking in a long black cape, or robe, I'm not sure.  Oh boy, I knew this was a sign that whatever I encountered next was not going to be normal.  I rounded the gate to the castle, and the first people I saw were three large men carrying what seemed to be bows for arrow shooting.  I got deeper into the castle grounds, and saw that there were targets all over the place and many more bow and arrow shooters.  There were also people in costume, from what era I'm not sure.  It seemed that there was a type of shooting show going on, along with lay people shooting also.  I kept on and turned down the path that circled the lake.  As I kept running, I noticed once again, that there are many dogs with their owners walking around the lake.  The dogs here are very well behaved.  Having a leash is not necessary, but most owners carry them just in case.  They wander about and seem to take some ownership to the town.  There are also many abandoned dogs and cats, but even in their state of homelessness, the people of Tata feed them and make sure they are healthy.  

I started back on my run and passed a large tent that was to house a music festival that is happening today.  There wasn't any action yet, but rest assured, it will be interesting.  Following my run, I returned to the hair salon primed and ready for my hair cut.  I managed to walk my way through what I "wanted" to have done to my hair - which incidentally is always different than what I get - but hey... I don't speak the language, so it's on me.  I now have shorter hair once again, and decided to wander around looking at the offerings of the Saturday morning stalls and shops.  I purchased a few small things, but mostly just watched people.  I eventually wandered home and on the way said hi to the fruit and vegetable lady who ALWAYS greets me, passed my downstairs (formerly crabby) neighbor who is now my friend and greeted her, and as I turned on to my street, I was surprised once again.  Up the street came a horse drawn carriage holding a family of four.  There were two horses, and a baby horse in tow.  I don't know what the horse rides are for, or why they're doing them, but hey - when in Tata, I don't question.  

I have learned a lot about myself, about people and societies, about different cultures while living here in small Tata.  I have grown and matured into a person who is different than when I came.  I'm sure I'll write more specific musings at a later time, but I will be very sad when I have to leave, that's for sure.  I learned today that I need to take more time on Saturday mornings and just get out to see what's going on - and damnit, I need a wicker basket to carry my goods in.  

I'm off to Papa to visit Megan for the night - enjoy your Saturday.

No comments: