Thursday, June 18, 2009

Language is a powerful thing

The last two weeks have brought millions of little school children to Tata on field trips.  They ride the small tourist train, take a cruise on the pleasure boat and climb around the castle ruins.  Last week, on my way home from school, there were a couple of little boys playing near the sidewalk I was walking on.  They couldn't have been more than kindergartners or first graders (though I'm terrible at ages).  They were making finger guns and "blowing away" people as they walked down the sidewalk.  I didn't think this was the most appropriate action for these little kids to be doing, and since the teacher was no where to be found- in my own way, I told them this.  I stopped directly next to one of the boys who had just "shot" me and I said my very stern teacher voice "YOU don't scare ME" and walked away leaving this boy scared out of his wits.  I doubt he shot at many more strangers that day.  AHHHHHhhhhhh the English language.

No comments: