Sunday, November 23, 2008

Gotta love security guards













A couple weekends ago when I was in Budapest, I decided to head into a shopping mall.  I had a bunch of stuff with me since I was traveling to Gyula, but I was determined to find lockers, and get rid of my stuff, and enjoy the mall.  I located the lockers (which, like the malls in the US are in the hallway leading to the bathroom) but was baffled from the get-go.  Where do your coins go?  How much do they cost?  Is it 20 forint?  100 forint?  I was staring at the lockers trying to figure them out when two mall security guards approached and started opening all the lockers.  OK, well now what?  I backed away and left the hallway, but damnit, I wanted a locker.  So I returned to the lockers, said (in my best Hungarian) “bocásnot, sajnos csak egy kicsit bészel magyarul, hanem mennyi békerul?” (I think that’s how it’s written…) – “excuse me, unfortunately I only speak a little Hungarian, but how much do these cost?”  They looked at each other, and to my surprise, the elder – way elder- of the two guards stopped and helped me.  He showed me how to step by step program the locker with my own number and then how to open it again once I was finished.  AND – it didn’t cost anything.  SCORE!  I thanked him profusely and shoved my stuff in, programmed the lock and off I went!  Thankfully, it opened when I returned and off I went to the train station.  Victory again!

No comments: