Thursday, November 6, 2008

Return to "normal" life





These pictures are from the election party


































































I walked up the stairs of my apartment to find a cute “welcome home” sign on my door.  I am so thankful that I left Boo with these nice 9th grade girls.  Admittedly, she peed all over the place, but I had covered everything, so I think it’s okay- but she did okay for being on her own for 10 days.  I’ll have to try and find a better solution for the Christmas break, but we’ll see.  She perked up as soon as I got home and began to eat again – apparently she was not eating a ton while I was gone.  It took me the afternoon to straighten up, clean, do laundry and go grocery shopping.  I was thankful that I didn’t have Hungarian lessons the next day because I definitely did not do my homework.  It will happen eventually.  I was asleep by about 7:30 and happy that I didn’t have to teach until 10 the next day.  It was a good recovery period.  School on Monday was pretty easy, we talked about their breaks, and about the election that was going to happen the next day.  I was very excited about the election and to hear about their fall break, so the day went quickly.  

Tuesday was good as well, I wore my “Hungary for Obama” shirt – with  a scarf over it so not everyone knew I had it on.  The kids were interested in the electoral process and took in all that I taught them.  I decided on my way to school that day that I would have an election party at my house.  I thought my advanced kids would be excited because we would watch CNN and discuss what was happening, eat pizza and hang out.  Little did I know that they had a literature exam that was consuming their lives- so no one was really interested.  I posed the idea to my 9th graders in passing, I didn’t have them for class on Tuesday, and they really came through.  I told anyone who wanted to, to come over at 6 and then I’d order pizza for whoever was there.  Promptly at 6, 80% of the 9th grade class showed up at my door with treats in hand, and pizza already ordered and on the way.  I have to give credit to Dori – the one who runs with me, watched my cat, and planned our welcoming ceremony skit- she organized the whole thing.  One student brought plates, one brought cups and napkins.  Some brought frozen pizzas [which was a trip to try and cook in my oven.  I had Bence (the folk dancer) try to help me, and he said, “hold on Carla, I will get a girl”], others brought drinks and chips.  One brought grapes and apples, and another brought candy treats and cookies.  One girl’s mom made biscuits and Barna – my goth kid – brought me Bárack (peach) jam and Bárack palinka to celebrate Barack Obama.  Shortly thereafter, the pizza arrived and we all sat back to watch tv and hang out.  Sadly, at about 7:15 the neighbors called and said that if we don’t quiet down, that she would call the police.  Seriously – it’s only 7:15.  I had 25 9th graders over and we were eating pizza and drinking juice.  It’s not like it was a 2 am bender with drunks – we were having an election party for crying out loud.   Whatever, my neighbors are crazy.  Boo had an excellent time with the kids – they played with her until she was worn out.  I was really touched by the generosity of the kids (and their parents who helped pay for the goods and came to pick them up) and the level of excitement they had for the idea of my election party.  They didn’t really know all that much about what was going on, but we did some learning throughout the night.  They offered to help clean, to cook the frozen pizzas, to pour the drinks and get everything set up – it was amazing.  They came through more than I ever expected, and made the whole thing very little work for me. I was so pleased that we were able to come together and have a nice time – despite my stupid neighbors.  My neighbors also put another note in my mailbox saying that there weren’t to be parties at ANY point during the day – any day.  Never mind the fact that again – they were there from 6-8:30.  Sheesh.  At any rate. My students were also very excited the next morning at school to share with me that they continued to watch CNN at home that night, and they knew that Obama had won – they were very happy, both for me and for the change that is coming.

No comments: