Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Istanbul day 2


These pics are of the Blue Mosque and the Grand Bazaar


































































We got up and started out walking around the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sofia area of town.  Our hostel was not too far from these two magnificent buildings so we took the opportunity to take some pictures.  I have been in many different countries and cities with impressive buildings, but there was something special about the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sofia.  Perhaps it’s because I cannot remember having been this close to a mosque before, let alone two of the most important in Turkey, but they were just awe inspiring.  Then, to hear the call to prayer was something special to experience as well.  I couldn’t stop staring at these two buildings, as they tower over a beautiful park area where lots of tourists congregate.  Any way, we were on our way to the Grand Bazaar preparing to haggle our hearts out – or so I thought.  Vivvi paid full price for the first thing we looked at, a pair of earrings.  I quickly showed her the ropes of bargaining and she was inspired and didn’t take long to catch up.  She, Jake and I managed (I think) to actually make money off our purchases.  Not really, but I am a hell of a bargainer.  I almost tried to bargain for our lunch in a nice little sit down area, but I was told by Vivvi and Jake to just calm down.  There is something exhilarating about getting a good deal on something you want.  Now, as my parents read this, I know they are rolling their eyes because they know that I really didn’t NEED the t-shirts or art work or jewelry that I bought, and my retort would be “but I got such a good deal on them.”  The funny thing is that I not only didn’t need many of the things I got, but they might not have been that great of a deal.  We did haggle our hearts out, but for every one of me, there are 10 people who paid a ridiculous price for the same goods.  So I don’t feel that bad.  No, I didn’t need three pashminas, but we only paid 7 lira (is that the Turkish money? I get them mixed up now) for them- they started at 25 lira for one!   

No comments: