Sunday, November 16, 2008

Weekend in Gyula


































The pictures go in backwards order, but Megan is bundling up on the train, as you can see, we are the only ones in our car... Vivvi with a homemade birthday  cheesecake that was divine (thanks Kati and Suzie!),  Kati and Suzie, at Vivvi's apt - Ellen, Csabi, Rachel and Ashley. 















Saturday had an interesting beginning.  I had originally planned on taking the 6:01am train to Békéscsaba- looking around for a bit and then heading from there to Gyula.  That plan failed after the late night with the choir.  SO – I would take the 8:15 train, same plan.  That plan failed too – because the bus was a few minutes late so I missed the express train.  I ended up catching the 8:22 train and I decided to do some wandering in Budapest.  And by wandering I mean shopping.  I have buckled down and decided to get a new back pack.  My green Jansport bag has lasted me since high school – it’s a great bag, but the strap is starting to come away from the bag and that’s the last thing I need is for my bag to break while I’m in Munich or something.  It will be sad when I finally stop using it – but at this point, I’m hoping I can bring it back and have my mom work some magic on it.  In the mean time, I got a new backpack and a winter coat as well.  So- after I wandered a bit, I grabbed a ticket for the metro and headed to the train station.  Luckily I left enough time because I got stopped by the metro police at the train station stop.  I purchased (knowingly) a “section” ticket instead of a “single” ticket.  The difference is a total of 50 forint –and there are currently 200 forint to a dollar.  Ok –so I was being cheap?  I don’t know why- I had just purchased a new coat and a backpack – and I needed to save this money on the train ticket?  Anyhow, the difference is that the section ticket is only good for three stops, and I was going 5 stops.  So, of course, I was stopped and told I had to pay 6,000 forint ($30).  Yeah right.  So- I claimed that I just asked for a ticket and that this is what the lady gave me, lie lie lie, and called Hajni (our in country contact).  She pretty much yelled at him on the phone telling him that I didn’t know any better and that I was there doing the country a service by helping the children learn English – yadda yadda… he still wasn’t going to let me go.  Bastard.  So, I told him “I can either go visit my friend for her birthday, or pay your fine – which one is it?” and he eventually looked at me and said “goodbye.”   Get  life Keleti-Palauydvar Metro guard.  (even though it was my fault…)  Oh well.  This trip was not off to a good start.  So – what do I do to solve that?  Go to McDonalds!!  At McDonalds I ran into Ashley and Ellen, and we ended up riding the train together.  So- all was well… but it was only noon… sheesh.  We took the three hour train to Gyula and met up with Vivvi, Rachel, Briggi and John.  Megan joined us later – I was so excited that she showed up last minute!!!  We went out that night to some fun bars in Gyula- though they were frequented by Vivvi’s students so that was a bit awkward.  I slept in Vivvi’s guest bedroom, which has no heat so it was a chilly night, then Megan and I got on a train that had no heat for the three hour ride home, so when we got to Budapest, we went to McDonalds to get a coffee and warm up.  Still working on the Hungarian, I ordered a “Jeges” Kave – which turns out that it’s and ICED coffee.  Shit.  I was hoping to just get some warmth into my body – no such luck.  My life is awesome.  Hmph.

No comments: