Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday Monday... bah dah..... bah dah dah duh.


The list - angol nyelv = English language, and my outfit from today... ha ha Hungary - no socks!









Today was an interesting day (really… aren’t they all?).  I decided that I was going to start the week by doing a psychological experiment on the Hungarian people.  I went to school today, with  - get ready – no socks on.  It’s November 24, 2008 – and I didn’t wear socks OR stockings to school today.  I don’t know why, it just didn’t seem to go with the outfit (which as a whole didn’t really make sense anyway, but whatever.  I think I’m becoming less fashionable as I hang around with these people).  I had on leggings, a dress, a cardigan, a hat, mittens, a scarf and jacket – and no stockings or socks.  This was enough to basically stop traffic in Hungary.  I rode the bus to school today and was scrutinized at the bus stop, as I walked down the aisle of the bus, by other patrons who got on the bus, and then by teachers at school.  Edit wanted to lend me some stockings to wear because she “just couldn’t look at me” like this.  Granted, it was not that warm out, but mild enough that it didn’t bother me for the short distance I was outside (38-40 degrees Fahrenheit).  I knew it would drive people crazy – but man.  It’s still funny to watch their reactions.  Of course, I stood out at school today as well because the students didn’t understand why I didn’t have some sort of boot on – whether moon or stiletto, I needed a boot.  What can I say, I need a little excitement in my life.  Little did I know that it would come on a very important day…

Today was my “extra” lesson after school.  I was to do a “normal” lesson with the 9A students starting at 2:30.  I was told that maybe 10 8th grade students would join us for the lesson to watch.  Never believe just what you are told.  Always assume that there is more to the big picture.  I realized that this was a bigger deal than I was told when I got to school today.  My name was first on a list of teachers – hanging prominently in the hallways – who were performing this “special” lesson after school today.  I learned today, (of course on the day of- less than 15 minutes before my lesson started) that it these are potential students for next year, and it’s very important to do a nice lesson.  I learned (5 minutes before my lesson was to start) that their parents would be there too.  Yoinks!  I went into my room at 2:28 and it was standing room only.  I had 18 9A students in addition to about 30 potential students and their parents in the room.  Holy bananas.  Lucky for me, I am just that good, and I had a stellar lesson planned.  We did a quick review of what they had learned about Thanksgiving (in their lesson earlier that day) then did a reading on Thanksgiving.  I gave them some questions orally to see if they comprehended, and then had them write about whether or not they would like to have attended the 1621 Thanksgiving celebration.  Last, I talked about the importance of thinking about what you are thankful for.  Each person is thankful for different things, and we should stop and think about these things every now and again.  So I had them reflect for a bit.  By that time, we only had a few minutes left – so I opened it up for questions from the peanut gallery, and there weren’t any.  They probably were all sitting there saying, “I’m not sending my kid to a school where the teachers don’t wear stockings in November”.  I probably blew it for a good 30 potential students.  Oh well.  I won’t be there next year anyhow.

Luckily, I got through my case of Monday crazies earlier that day.  I began talking about my weekend – which was fairly dull.  I didn’t go shopping with Antonia and her family – thankfully BECAUSE – there was a bomb threat at the mall they went to!  So ha – I knew I shouldn’t go mom!  And I didn’t go ice skating with the 9th graders either.  I pretty much slept and watched Friends all weekend.  I had a “I’m feeling sorry for myself” weekend because of the pending holiday season I suppose.  But I tried making sugar cookies, after the cake went so well I kept going.  That was a disaster.  I didn’t have enough butter, and I added some other things to help make it more moist, and they ended up like hockey pucks.  SO – I’m telling my 9th grade students about my cookie making extravaganza (knowing that “cookie” in Hungarian means penis – so I call them sugar “biscuits” – how very British…) but I referenced them as cookies, just to be funny. I said I made “American cookies” not “Hungarian cookies” thinking I’d gotten the uncomfortable giggles out of the way.  Not a chance.  Apparently some word that sounds like “hockey” means the same as masturbate in Hungarian.  Great – so now I’m talking about these cookies, and how they are as hard as hockey pucks.  Awesome.  I then made a reference to how I was feeling a little “looney” with all of this giggling, which started another flurry of giggles, since looney sounds like “nuni” which is Hungarian for vagina.  Geeze.  Thank goodness I didn’t use these choice words in my afternoon special session.  Yeesh.

 

3 comments:

Tom and Kathy said...

Carla:

Great blog entry. Talking about your classes gives evidence that you are a great teacher.

Dad

Meg Tredinnick said...

You can still make me giggle like nobody's business:)

Mickey said...

Carla,

I loved all that I read so far - so interesting - pictures are great! Your outfit is so cool - No Socks! We already know you're a great teacher!
We got about 1 1/2" of snow last night - it's so pretty! Gotta go -work calls unfortunately.

Mickey