Monday, April 20, 2009

Rovinj, Croatia






We woke up bright and early the next morning in search of breakfast, and found that most European cities don’t actually serve breakfast, it’s either ice cream or coffee.  We finally found some croissants but we made a note to self to purchase some breakfast things on our own.  Dad had a coffee – which I’ll comment on later, and mom dad pudding in a cup.  They called it cocoa, and I LOVE it, but she wasn’t thrilled with her melted candy bar in drink form.  We walked to the bus station to try and figure out what time was best to leave on Monday – since Sunday was Easter, and Easter Monday is a holiday here too, we weren’t sure if the bus lady would be there or not.  We purchased tickets back to Rijeka and were set to go exploring.  Rovinj reminded me a bit of Venice in that there are narrow streets with tall worn buildings towering over these almost alley-ways, but other than that, Rovinj is a place of its own.  We walked around and did some shopping – more linens of course – and we got some postcards and such.  We had a nice lunch and then roamed some more.  I stopped at a place that sold liquor, I had some wine purchases to make, and I wanted some of the Croatian version of palinka – to give as a gift – I want nothing to do with it.  After a glass of wine at lunch, and three samples of the fruit brandy that is Rakija I knew it was going to be an early night. 

No comments: