Saturday, December 12, 2009

Captain Jack Staffa comes to town...

My mom and dad landed in Budapest on a Friday. I was able to take the day off of school to go and pick them up which was nice. What was not nice was seeing Captain Jack Sparrow – I mean Staffa – walk out of the customs area wearing a black eye patch. Luckily I spotted my mom first, because the eye patch threw me a bit. Fortunately, it kept his eye in check for the trip over which kept them up for over 24 hours by the time we got to my place. It was nice that I didn’t have any baggage and they only had two “carry-on” size suitcases. We easily navigated our way by bus, then metro, second metro and train to Tata. When we were getting of the first metro, my parents learned their first Hungarian words. I was “greeted” by a stumbling man who said “mi van buszi? Mi van buszi kurva?” My dad thought he was saying that he wanted booze – but in fact he was calling me a “gay bitch.” Interesting… welcome to Budapest!

Forralt bor and dinner

After a short nap, we headed out to see some of the lights of Tata and to get a late snack. We were lucky enough to see the tail end of the evenings live nativity scene. There was a donkey and two small sheep next to the wooden figures. I hadn’t seen this one there last year, but there was a new restaurant there who probably sponsored it. We had a nice dinner and some forralt bor (hot wine) and relaxed a bit.
The nativity scene
Dad and the lambs

dad going after Boo in her hand crafted box toy- notice the eye patch

No comments: