Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Electricity woes

There still has been no resolution to the “I want to hang a ceiling fan” escapade of this summer. For those of you who are regular readers, you’ll remember that Justin tried to hang the ceiling fan and we ended up with a large hole in the ceiling – and no fan, and we were left unable to re-hang the original light fixture. As the days get shorter and it becomes darker at 4:30, I’ve found myself wanting some form of additional lighting in the living room. So, I summoned the school handy man. The day I asked for someone to help fix the light, he was in my apartment as I returned from school. There was broken glass on the floor (he had broken three of the panels on the light shade) and there was additional pieces of the ceiling on the floor also. Luckily he had moved the carpet back and the table out of the way. Boo was hiding in the corner, not sure what to make of the whole situation – but hanging in there. As he climbed the step ladder to show me that he had indeed been successful in reconnecting the light AND in reattaching it to the ceiling using very sketchy pieces of metal, his smile faded. He motioned for me to turn on the light and nothing happened as I turned the switch. Uh-oh… he asked me to try again, adjusted some things, and still no light. He shrugged his shoulders and said the very Hungarian “Oh-pah.” He reassured me that he would come back the next week (which is now two weeks ago). Oh well, at least it’s back in “place” – I can worry about the light source some other time.

the pieces of metal that hold the heavy light fixture in the ceiling. I'm not exactly sure how...
the "electric" end of the light fixture
the ceiling care of Justin :)


***Note: I came home today and the light was working, though there was only one of three bulbs in the light. The handy man had taken that lone bulb out of another fixture in the living room. At any rate, it works- so all is well!!

No comments: