Thursday, December 31, 2009

Subway etiquette...

So after another day in Budapest, I am wondering what the written, or unwritten social rules are regarding the subway. For example, there are the worlds longest escalators going up and down to and from the bowels of the Budapest metro system. Where do you look? Conveniently, there are advertisements that line the walls, but once they start repeating, do you keep reading? When they are in a foreign language, do you pretend you can understand them? In addition, at least in Budapest, you are standing at an awkward angle so it seems as if you have to lean forward for fear of falling backwards. Can you look at the people across the way who are going down as you go up? Is that ok to do? What if someone makes eye contact with you -then what do you do? How awkward? No one is talking, no one is moving - we're all zombies in our own thoughts going up or down... heading who knows where.


What about when you're actually ON the subway car? When you are standing, it's most likely because there isn't any room on the benches. Hopefully you're not standing right over someone who is sitting - right at their knees - because that can really make things awkward. I try to look past the person sitting opposite me - as if I'm watching the scenery? out the windows (the black walls of the metro system passing by- yeah I'm really watching that). I often am drawn to the "fashion" of Hungarians, but I've been caught looking enough times to feel uncomfortable about ever looking up while riding the metro. The whole experience is just a bit freaky for me. If anyone knows appropriate behavior for where to look while in the metro system, please let me know!!!

A statue at one of the metro stops in Budapest

No comments: