Sunday, December 13, 2009

Mom and dad at school - again

My parents came to school on Monday. I have the “new” 9th graders on Monday and they hadn’t met them last year, so they were excited to see them and speak to them. I don’t know why, but all my students were genuinely interested in meeting my parents. Maybe it’s for the same reason I like conferences, meeting the parents answers a lot of questions… but they were really excited to see them and to be able to speak to them about me and life in America. The students in all my classes had similar questions for them: how do you like Hungary, what did you know about Hungary before coming here, do you like Hungarian food, are the Hungarian people nice… etc. There were a couple that struck me this time though: how did you two meet, are you proud of Carla, do you like Michael Phelps and Michael Jackson… interesting what the kids think of.

One of my students Máte, is very interested in history. He asked my dad what he knew about Hungarian history before coming here. Luckily my dad has a daughter who is a history teacher so I’ve told them about different pieces of the history of the country. I then told Máte that he could choose two pieces of Hungarian history that he could teach my parents if he wanted to – he perked up immediately and asked if he could have 10 minutes to prepare… what a funny kid. After thinking for a few more minutes, he stated that he was ready and confidently approached the chalkboard. He immediately drew the “big Hungary” (the country of Hungary was three times as big before 1920 and the treaty of Trianon) and told us all about who had settled where when and different battles that secured or lost various parts of Hungarian land. Máte isn’t the strongest English speaker, but was very excited to share information about what he is passionate about and actually did a really nice job. It was cute to see him turn to me every time he needed a translation or was nervous because he couldn’t think of a word. His panic face was priceless, but eventually he got out all his ideas and gave a brilliant 10 minute history lesson. Good job Máte.

Maté teaching my mom and dad

finishing his lesson about the "big Hungary"

9A - me, mom and dad

No comments: