Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas gifts

I was lucky enough to receive many special gifts from school for Christmas. The tradition I experienced here is to give a honey cookie (similar to gingerbread) for gifts to friends and teachers. I have pictures here of several of the cookies here. Even after a year and a half, I haven't learned all of the traditions though - including the procedure for after you receive a gift - the double kiss. I was approached by several students to hand me their gift, and after I graciously accepted it, they stood there awkwardly. I initially thought it was because they had just given a gift to the teacher and everyone saw... but really they were waiting for me to cue them to lean in and give me the double kiss. Oh well - what's fun about it if life isn't a bit awkward? I also gave out cookies to some people for Christmas - special "American" chocolate chip cookies. They were a hit!!!

My mom and dad brought over several "Minnesota" ornaments that I was able to use to adorn my gifts of chocolate chip cookies.
the honey cookes
one with the colors of the Hungarian flag on it - red, white and green
the back of the "Hungarian" colors cookie- "Merry Christmas" [from] Liza 2009
a card from 10A - hand made by one of the students - the 10A class also had a special surprise for me. One of the students told me that they needed me in their classroom during a break, and as I entered, all the students were standing, candles were lit and they busted into a rousing version of "We Wish You a Merry Christmas." It was very nice and thoughtful of them.

No comments: