Tuesday, December 8, 2009

H1N1 vaccine

I got the H1N1 vaccine two weeks ago. It was quite a process to get it – and I’m not entirely sure it worked the way it was supposed to. I wanted to get the vaccine, but I apparently missed the days at school when the faculty were allowed to do it – surprise that no one told me when this day was. So I talked to my contact teacher and said I’d like to receive the vaccine. She sent me a text message later that day and said that I was to report to the school doctor on Monday morning. Easier said than done thank you very much. First, I didn’t know where the school doctor was – obviously she is located next to the changing rooms in the gym building – Duh! Then, when I showed up, the door was shut and so I knocked and was going to go in. One of the students waiting for the doctor told me that there was someone in the doctors and that I should wait. Oh, again – duh. Why would the doctor have a waiting area other than the space next to the bench press in the hallway of the gym changing rooms. So I waited until after the other girl was done. Apparently while she was in there, she told the doctor that the American teacher was in the hallway and wanted a vaccine for H1N1. Evidently the doctor was out and she told me to return the next day. Not a problem, but by Tuesday, I had developed a cold. My throat was sore and I was coughing and stuffed up. Word on the street is that you are not supposed to receive the vaccine if you are sick. SO- I didn’t know what to do. I wanted the vaccine and I wasn’t sure if they would have any after I returned from Serbia (or got rid of the cold). So I brought a student with me the next morning and told her to tell the doctor that I was sick, but just a little- so I was well enough to get the vaccine. The Doctor asked if I was feeling okay and I told her I had a slight cough… she told me to take some throat lozenges, and gave me the shot. SO – for all I know, I could have had H1N1 when I received the vaccine. I don’t know. BUT I hope the vaccine works – you never know in a foreign country…

No comments: