Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Christmas Market





Pictures of the Christmas market in Budapest.  Apparently the hedgehog is big here - the largest one costs $200.  If you want it, I can go back and get it for you-  just let me know!


















On Friday- Vivvi, Megan, Scott and I headed to the Christmas market.  We weren’t sure what it would entail, but it was totally worth the cold weather.  It was the first day of the market, so some people were still building their stands in Vörösmarty Ter (Vörösmarty Square).  Others were ready and waiting with the forralt bor (spiced wine).  It was amazing to see – there was a huge Christmas “tree”?  I’m not sure what it was, but it was decorated as a tree – and lots of food and vendors selling crafts.  I was looking for something that said “Hungarian Christmas” but I didn’t really find anything.  There was lots of kitschy Christmas stuff, but it seemed similar to what I could get at home.  Also, the things that I thought were pretty ornaments, would not make it home in one piece – so I was left in a lurch.  I bought a necklace and some nice earrings, but that’s it.  We ended up ducking into H & M to warm up a bit.  We stopped and had lunch in the area, and as we were heading into a restaurant, my friend Natalie (visiting this weekend from the US) said “Carla Staffa!”  She and I were scheduled to meet up the next morning, but it was random that we were in the same place as her on a Friday in Budapest.  At any rate, we had lunch and then headed back to Jake and Ellens.  I checked into a hostel (which was super funky and really clean – which I like) and met them back at their place.  After a nice pizza dinner, Jake, Megan and I headed to the “Twilight” movie.  I am currently reading the second book – judge me if you will.  

2 comments:

Mickey said...

Hey - Would you get me a hedgehog for around $50? JK JK

Mickey

John Bartholow said...

I'm pretty sure that's a warthog in the market picture, isn't it? You know, like that one in the Lion King... and regardless, yes, I totally think the $200 one could be the classy centerpiece in my living room Christmas display. Or perhaps Vi would like it for the office back at BHS (they're kicking it into high holiday gear over there!).