Sunday, December 7, 2008

SOOOO far from victory...

While I was at the mall, I decided I wanted to get a locker.  I figured I’d done it twice before at different places, it couldn’t be that difficult right?  SO – I found the lockers (note to self, they are usually down the hallway to the bathrooms) and investigated.  It turns out, you had to go to the information desk to get a key for them – which I figured out only after talking to the bathroom guard/attendant.  So, off I went to the information desk in search of a key.  I didn’t know how to say “locker” in Hungarian- and apparently it translates to “safe” anyway, but it was tough from the get go.  I tried to make the motions of taking my bags, setting them somewhere and shutting a door, locking it – etc.  To no avail.  I put out money (for my deposit) and tried my darndest to communicate what I wanted.  It wasn’t working.  The information desk at this particular mall happened to have two main functions in terms of customer service.  They also rented out shopping carts that had small cars on the front for little children (see picture).  In my quest for a locker, I had apparently asked the woman if I could in fact rent one of these carts.  So – she took my deposit and unlocked one of them.  I thought, well – what the hell, so I put all my bags in the car and off I went.  I pushed the damn thing all around the mall – with no small child in it.  I am evidently seeking out ways to get the attention of Hungarians.  It was funny – and definitely blog-worthy so whatever.  

No comments: