Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Plumbing 101...














Note in the pictures: Boo watching the whole process, and my mom and dad on the computer screen trying to see what I was doing...



I have tried not to be a bother while here in Hungary.  That has included letting the water drip (hot water mind you) constantly for the last few weeks.  And by drip, I mean flow enough so I don’t have to “turn it on” to wash my hands.  I purchased a thing to put on the end of the faucet thinking that would let me stop it up, no such luck.  So I went to the Hungarian version of Home Depot and purchased a new faucet.  It was only about $20, but still, kind of annoying.  I was bound and determined to fix this dripping.  It wasn’t costing me anything, but it was probably the right thing to do so the school wasn’t paying for all this hot water that wasn’t being used.  I cleaned out all the stuff from under the sink (which was all really random might I add) and got ready to roll.  I enlisted the help of my parents via video-chat, and we were set for an adventure.  I turned off the water, both hot and cold, and got started.  Boo was on her perch watching the whole thing.  I tried a number of different things, but the way the old faucet was in place was NOT conducive to an amateur plumber (and by amateur meaning I have zero experience with plumbing) without the proper tools.  I have left it for a while now, only turning the hot water on when I need it so there isn’t a constant drip – waiting to figure out the next step.  I finally told Mirtill the other day that it was in need of fixing so it should be dealt with shortly… maybe. 

No comments: