Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Labyrinth in the Buda Hill

























After the bath, we went to see the cave in the Buda hill that was a chapel.  There was actually a wedding that they were preparing for, but it was a really neat place to stop for a quick look.  I have never seen anything like it before.  After the chapel, we went up to the top of the Gellert hill to overlook the Danube, and then continued on (a very roundabout way) to Castle Hill.  Once we got to the Castle Hill district, we were interested in touring the labyrinth.  This labyrinth was used during World War II to hide away Polish people – and that’s really all I knew about it.  When we got inside, I have to say that it was one of the weirdest places I have ever toured in my life.  There was eerie music playing, it was dark, you couldn’t really see where you were supposed to go.  Several times, I had to illuminate my cell phone and camera so that we could see.  In the middle, there was a weird fountain that distributed wine (that wasn’t suitable for drinking).  At the end, there was a different area where they had collected fossils from the past, though they were supposed to be funny fossils I think.  One was of an early creatures footstep, said to be nothing human, and it was a converse shoe print.  There was a fossil of the earliest form of Hungarian communication and it was a print of a computer keyboard.  My favorite “fossil” was that of a giant coke bottle.  I’m not sure what they were getting at with these fossils, but it made me love Hungarians even more than I already did.

No comments: