Sunday, May 24, 2009

Carla and the chocolate factory











































So the Chocolate Museum was one of the best places I've been in my life.  I have posted pictures of it earlier, and even the video that I took - but I thought I'd give you a little background on the place before I forgot about it.  First of all, you can ride the "chocolate train" to get there - which is cool in itself - the train isn't made out of chocolate (which would be cool) but it was the train to and from the center of town and the museum.  Unfortunately I'd already purchased my "Hop on- Hop off" pass so I didn't need the chocolate train.  The museum itself was really interesting.  They discussed everything from where chocolate is grown, the growing and harvesting process, what things chocolate is used for, fair trade chocolate and economic issues with chocolate production.  Then, there was an entire Willy Wonka type room - those are the pictures from below.  They showed the process from grinding and sorting to the melting, how hollow figures are made, how the wrappers are designed, different types of chocolate, the huge chocolate fountain - so many different things to see.  And then, like a Disney approved establishment, you were dumped into the gift shop, which was great!!  There are pictures of the gift shop below as well.  I highly recommend a trip to the chocolate factory in Cologne, just don't bother the oompa loompas!!

No comments: