Monday, May 4, 2009

The Handyman




















I’ve already talked about the sink being fixed by Justin and Riley, but since then, I have put the handy man to work since things have apparently been falling apart. The Friday I returned from my trip with my parents, I managed to break my cheaper than Ikea bed that came with the apartment. I flopped down on it in exhaustion, and busted the piece of wood that supported one side of the mattress. In my defense, it busted where there was a knot in the wood (and I was told that’s a weak spot by the all knowing boyfriend) so it wasn’t the weight I put on eating ice cream in Croatia. At any rate, We traversed back to the hardware store to get some wood and nails to fix the bed, and to figure out my screen problem. Screens are hard to come by here in Hungary. When I asked what people did to keep out the bugs, I was told “we kill ‘em.” Oh well grand, thanks. When my parents were here, we managed (with a bit of difficulty) to find some screens that are temporary, much like the plastic that we put over the windows in Minnesota during the winter. We got some for the two big windows and the door to the deck. However, when we got home and were actually putting it all together, the screens were not big enough for my windows. So, after looking for wood, Justin and I returned to where the screens are kept (in the outdoor garden section of the store) and tried to fix the problem. Thank goodness he was there, because he found a mosquito net for a bed, and I didn’t get it at first, but we could use that material and just cut it to fit the window. Brilliant man, (so glad he's mine) it worked beautifully. The bed was fixed, screens were in, life is good, Justin's around. Now I’m just waiting for the ceiling fan I ordered to come in… that’s a whole different blog…

No comments: