Saturday, May 30, 2009

Stage one - epic FAIL

Ok -well, I have planned this weekend trip to Germany.  Fun right?  How many people can take advantage of the fact that we have Pentecost off from school and travel?  I thought I could... so - last week, I took a 45 minute trip to Győr to get seat reservations for the trains today.  They aren't always necessary, but I don't like to be the odd man out - like I was last time in 1st class on a train in Germany.  So I was in Győr for a total of 8 minutes, secured my seat reservations and paid the fee for them.  I returned home for another 45 minutes on the train.  Not a big deal...

Until you get to the bus stop the morning of your trip and find out that the bus schedule is different.  I planned initially on walking to the train station, but the rain quickly deterred me.  So, I figured I'd catch the 7:20 bus, knowing wouldn't show up until 7:30 and I'd make it to the station just in time for my 7:39 train.  I'd cut it close before, so I wasn't really worried... until I read the sign at the bus stop and saw that the bus only runs on the hour and half hour, until 8 o'clock.  So, if I stayed and waited for the 7:30 bus, I'd miss the train that I needed to get to Győr.  Damnit.  So I set off in search of a taxi, to no avail.  Where are all the Tata taxi drivers at 7:20 in the morning?  Not on duty apparently.  I caught the "7:30" bus which came at 7:40 -and put me at the train station exactly 4 minutes after the train I needed.  Shit.  So, now I had to wait at the train station until 8:26 to catch the next train, and abort the seat reservations I had dilligently planned ahead for.  Fml.  I got to Győr and tried to get seat reservations for the NEW trains I'd be riding, and the nice Hungarian woman behind the international ticket window assured me they were not necessary.  EVERY TIME this happens, I am odd man out and the only one without a reservation.  Ok, fine whatever.  Now I'm at the McDonald's in Győr eating a fake Egg McMuffin.  hmph.  Ok, I'll get there, and only two hours later than originally planned, but that's just what I get for planning.  Sheesh. 

Auf wiedersein or however you spell it.  phoey.

No comments: