Monday, May 4, 2009

Who started the fire?





















As a last assignment for my 13A “school leavers” for their civilizations class, I had them write the next verse for the song “we didn’t start the fire.”  This was the first time that the group of students doing this assignment, as it’s a regular year ender for me in the states, had never heard the song.  I had a fresh palate to work with in terms of teaching about the song and the events in it.  Though they were annoyed that they had another assignment to do, I told them that each of them who performed the song would receive a “5” as their final grade – it’s the same as an “A” in the states.  Come Monday morning, there were ukeleles, guitars and singers ready to rock out the song.  They not only sang the verse they wrote – but all the groups wrote more than one verse!  Additionally, for each group that performed, the rest of the class sang the chorus to help them out – it was really the best that the assignment had ever worked for me.  

No comments: