Monday, May 25, 2009

I might have made a friend.

Last Sunday, I was waiting for Justin to return from the United States, so I passed some time by reading out behind my apartment building.  There is a significant amount of “grass” that separates my building and the questionable structures that line the next street.  Children play soccer out there, people walk back there, it’s used quite frequently.  Knowing this, I was surprised when, after about 15 minutes of reading, I heard “ssssk, ssssk, Carla!”  It was a forced whisper… “sssssssk sssssssk Carla!”  I looked around to my side, and crabby first floor lady was at her window calling me.  Now, crabby first floor lady is not to be confused with second floor crazy lady – and I’m on the third floor – probably a combination of them both.  I was shocked, and didn’t know what to do.  My first thought was, “I can be here reading – what’s her problem?  I’m not bothering ANYONE!”  so I slunk over to her window and was surprised when she handed me a glass.  “Good God” I thought to myself, “she’s going to poison me and make it look like I died of heat stroke.”  She saw me hesitate, and said, “soda!” I wasn’t sure exactly what it was, but I drank it.  Then, another woman (I am assuming it’s her daughter) came into the kitchen.  Keep in mind that I was on the outside, and leaning into the first floor window.  It didn’t look weird and wasn’t awkward at all.  The second woman said, “Szia Carla!” “Szia” is the informal greeing like “hi”.  It’s used among friends and people who know each other well.  Szia?  Who are you and how do you know my name?  The second woman put out a plate of apple bars, evidently to go with my “soda.”  Once I had happily eaten one of the apple bars, the older (crabby) lady leaned in and motioned for me to do the same.  At this time, she spoke in a rapid Hungarian whisper, while motioning upward to the crazy lady’s apartment.  I heard the words “water” and “its okay” and what I could get from the rest of the one sided conversation is that she thinks the crazy lady is crazy too.  I now have a kindred spirit in hating the second floor crazy lady- and apparently two new friends.  I think that’s how you make friends here, you feed them… this means we’re friends right?  At any rate, the woman who never addressed me in 9 months of my existence here has now given me treats and last week flutter waved at me in the hallway.  I have a new friend… I think.

No comments: