Sunday, July 26, 2009

Summer on the Chain Bridge

Last weekend, I went to “Summer on the Chain Bridge.” For several weekends in June and July, they close the most famous Budapest bridge to car traffic and vendors and musicians set up for a festival on the bridge. I figured it would be similar to other recent festivals I had attended, but I needed to get out and do something different. I made the trek into Budapest, and headed for the bridge. I was pleasantly surprised as there was traditional Hungarian music coming from both the Buda and Pest sides of the bridge, not to mention in the middle. There were many similar vendors selling wares I had seen before, but it was nice to be out and people watch. I had a nice Hungarian summer drink – a fröccs – it’s wine mixed with gas water. I had a rosé fröccs and enjoyed it as I came back across the bridge.

The covered piece on the left is a two person table where you could sit and enjoy your beverage or snacks. They lined the bridge opposite the vendors.
The Buda side
musicians
the bridge
the Pest side looking toward Buda

Afterwards, I went down towards the Parliament building to find a memorial to Hungarian Jews killed in World War II – I still hadn’t seen it yet. I don’t know the name of the artist, but the memorial is basically pairs and pairs of shoes (that had been preserved in some sort of metal - so they weren't just canvas out in the elements) lining one portion of the Danube. I’ll post some pictures so you can see it yourself. After I relaxed there for a while, there was a storm moving in, so I walked all the way back across town to one of the bigger malls (stopping for an iced chai at California Coffee – my favorite summer drink) and I saw the movie “Public Enemy” at the mall. A good weekend escape from the monotony (if that's possible) of Tata.






security in front of the Parliament building - a that prohibits walking there, and a broken chain to keep people out...
Parliament
leading to the Danube
Parliament


No comments: