Saturday, July 4, 2009

On the road again...

On the road again...

So this morning (Tuesday) I left my house at 5:00am.  I walked to the train station, because I was leery of the Tata bus system.  Sure enough, when I was enroute, sweating and hauling all my stuff- the bus passed me.  Damnit.  Oh well.  At least I know the 4:55am bus runs on time.  From my door to being checked in at the airport, it took just under 2.5 hours.  It cost me $7.50 to get from one end to the other, using all public transportation.  Not bad – aside from the early wake up time. 

I’m sitting in the Budapest airport trying to not out myself as an American, watching two 20 somethings take up four seats at the gate, talk about other peoples’ clothes loud enough for everyone to hear – whether or not the others here understand English or not is another story – and watching the scene. I was here in plenty of time, though I always get a case of the jitters when I have to make deadlines like these.  I also had a backpack that was only 10 kilograms (22 pounds for those of you not on metric J) – that’s a record for me.  The day I don’t max out and push the luggage weight limit is a good day.  Lord knows it will not be only 10kg when I return, but between that and a half empty smaller backpack, I’m feeling good about my packing.

When I leave for good to return to the United States, I’m going to miss the Hungarians and their fashion “sense”.  I’m watching a girl in a tight white strapless dress and red stilettos, a woman in black MC Hammer pants –(loose fitting jersey knit pants with the crotch hanging at her knees)- a woman in a teal shirt, a jean skirt that’s too short and matching teal tights, and a woman with black clothing, but accessories that mirror the Roy G. Biv of the rainbow from her head to her toes.  I am also going to miss the sandwiches.  As I stare at the Chinese buffet here in the terminal, and the Fornetti’s pastry stand, I dutifully eat my salami, cheese and Hungarian pepper sandwich that I packed…. Saving the second one for later, and the pb and j one for when I’m in Paris.  The other thing that I’m going to miss is the fact that Hungarians drink like beer is coming out of the sink.  I ran into a student this morning at the train station – at 6am- who had just finished a party and was on his way home – it’s Tuesday morning might I remind you.  And, as I sit here typing this, I am sitting next to two Hungarian women sipping large beers and eating their sandwiches, that were wrapped in tinfoil – the mark of a TRUE Hungarian.  I love this country, but I’m excited to add 4 new ones to my list of European states to check off. 

More to come!

No comments: